1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

112 and 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FourBanger, Mar 29, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Search function does not seem to like all the numbers so please forgive...:help:

Would there be any reason a 112 8ohm cab and a 212 8ohm could not be run together? It would give 4ohms and be the same number of speakers as running a 210 and a 115, but with all 12s instead of the different sizes obviously.

I was daydreaming and I thought owning a 112 and a 212 would be the ultimate in versatility, could run either alone, or both together for even more power.

Probably seems like a stupid question, but it has been a long week with my two maniac children and my brain just can't compute anymore tonight. I googled and found only 112 vs 212 pages.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Biggest problem is the 1x12 would be getting twice the power of either of the speakers in the 2x12. Other minor nits as well, but unbalanced power is the major red flag.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I had this setup and loved it. Mine was a GK Neo 212 and a 112. You have to be mindful not to push it too hard since the 112 will be get half of the load from the amp. I ended up getting rid of the 212 in favor of another 112 just to downsize, but there are times I miss that 212. What amp are you planning to use?

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Doesn't the same happen when a 115 and 210 are used together or does the big speaker suck up enough more power?

I have no plans at the moment, it will be a couple years until my wife is out of law school and I get anything more serious than the B30. I got the idea while browsing the Genz Benz and TC Electronic sites. I have taken to the idea of 12s as a good middle ground for my sound.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I used to do this sometimes but with one of my 2ohm capable amps, Carvin B1500 or pre/Crown power amp or even my GB NeoPak. Used a GB NeoX 212T (4ohm) and a NeoX 112T (8ohm). Three vertical 12's. THen all drivers get same power at them.

Works fine but now usually I live with a single 212T and a 900 watt head and that works very well in most rooms I gigged last year. May try the 3x12's again soon with new band but then requires bringing the larger amp head; so a 212T in most bars they will do should work. First gig with them next month; we'll see.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Same thing happens. However a 1x15 and 2x10 have a nearly equivalent surface area rather than a 2:1 delta of a 112 versus 212. That doesn't guarantee it's not a problem, but it's likely to be a better situation.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a 4Ω 2x12 would make more sense paired with an 8Ω 1x12, that would be three 8Ω 12s all getting equal power (assuming your amp can do 2Ω).

8. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I did it with my TC stuff, 112 plus the 212. Just because I had both cabs for a few weeks. It actually sounded great even with the mismatch, and put the head at the perfect height. But I too have settled on a single 212 beast of a cabinet to do all the work. I do like the 4 ohm 212 and 8 ohm 112 if your amp can handle that.

9. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Here is a shot of the setup I used. It sounded great. I just decided to downsize to a smaller head and another 112 as this rig was overkill for the gigs I was playing at the time.

gkstack01.

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    When you went smaller did you keep with the MB200 or go to something in between to run the pair of 112s together?

11. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I sold the MB200 with the intention of getting the MB500. However I found a great deal on a GB Shuttle 3.0 and bought it instead. So now my rig looks like this:

newgkstack.