Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

112 cab design

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wademeister63, May 21, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'd like to build a pair of 112 cabs in my shop since I have all the equipment and materials handy, as well as hopefully a pair of nice 12" speakers. I don't know anything about cabinet design yet, but I can draw, cut and assemble whatever I need to very close tolerances. I'm thinking I may be able to get away with no horn on these since I usually shut off the horn on my Avatar 115 anyway, and I think these 12's have a higher frequency response. If I need to add in a tweeter that's cool too and I would be up for doing some research into crossovers if I end up needing a tweeter after all.
    So how do I determine cabinet volume, shape, port configuration etc? The speakers are Genz Benz GBE 1241B's

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Check out Genz-Benz's website for more information.

They don't use the 1241B's anymore in any of their enclosures. However, their LS112T has a single 1241C in it. It sounds like the C is the newer, "better," model. As it's a rare and uncommon speaker, you won't find much on it on the internet. I think your best bet it to mimic one of the Genz-Benz LS112T, and you'll get close to what's best for the speaker.

I would recommend e-mailing Genz-Benz, or waiting for Roger (aka hasbeen) to reply. He's the Product Manager (correct me if I'm wrong Roger) of Genz-Benz and has always been helpful with me.

3. Check out this page it will give you a some ideas of what is involved. I am building my cab tomorrow best of luck. Hopefully the speaker arrives :)

This page was posted up on Activebass.com by someone who found it...
    Building Cabinets

Also be sure to download programs such as winSID, they can be quiet handy in determining speaker responce, and cab size as well as tuning.

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

Looks like some great info there. Thanks!

5. No Worries-

I will try to take a few pictures for you during construction of my own cab also- Internals and stuff like that :) Which you may or may not find helpful.

-A