Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

112 cabs-Epifani, Bergantino or EA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, May 12, 2003.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm looking to get a pair of 112 cabs very soon. Could anyone give their opinions on what they feel the differences are between these three cabs? Thanks.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I own the EA and have tried the bergie. There are many threads about these very cabs here on talk bass and I pretty much agree with most of them. The EA is very present and in your face with tight punchy lows. The burgy has tons of high end zing and milky mids but less lows. The thing with the burgie is you can boost the lows on the amp to bring out da butt in that cab and it can take it- to a point. I was able to make it fart with an EBS 650 head. The bergie has a sweeter sound but I like the EA cause it sounds sooo huge for its size. I've used one alone in a moderately loud funky rockish r'n'b band and was very pleased. I don't think I could have done that with the bergie but then again I've never actually tried...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    epifani all the way
    however, the bergies are more portable
    biggest thing to consider is two 112 cabinets stacked are going to sound a little different than a single 12, there will be an apparent increase in lows
    also, i'm sure you will like the sound of the 2 stacked rather than side by side
    fwiw, i occasionally use an aguilar 112 and a bagend 112 stacked. the aggie definitely lacks mids, which the bagend excells in
    that being said you may find that you like the sound of an epifani and a bergie better than two of either
    confused?
    hehehe
    let your ears be the judge and find a good shop that will let you try out a lot of cabs without hassling you
    even if they're more expensive than a chain store, its worth the extra $ to keep then in buisiness

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've heard one!
    oh wait, that was mine

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

tough one.

just today, i was at Rudy's Music blaring thru a pair of Berg 1x12's with just a simple Clarus, and WOAH, no shortage of low B action there. made my Elrick sound positively awesome. tubes? who needs tubes, when you have some Bergantino magic??? :bassist:

but, as a standalone cab, very little touches an Epifani 1x12. you want big in a small box, this is the cab to get. i used to think EA's 1x12's were killer, but after visiting the Epifani shop again today, its hard to beat the sweet top end the Epi's have.

man, why is the GAS soooo hard to fight off these days?!?!?!? :meh:

6. My bad! I just realized you did already. I guess I read in a rush. Sorry 'bout that.

-----------------------

I have heard that the Berg HT112 combined with an EX112 are awesome. I think Big String is one of the TBers that swears by this combination.

Check this post.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'll add this: There always seem to be people selling Aguilar and Epifani 1x12 cabinets (here and at BassGear), but you rarely see Bergantino 1x12 cabinets for sale. It seems to me that people that own Bergies are not willing to part with them.

JD

8. I just bought the Bergi 112HT and the Honeymoon is still on so I can't be of a lot of help. So far I really can't find anything to bitch about. It's plenty loud enough. I'm driving it with 250 watts and I haven't seen the amp clip yet. What I like the most about this speaker is the way it seems to bring out the mid-range texture of my basses. The controls on the basses themselves seem to really make a difference with this speaker. Another thing I notice is how it seems to bring out the differences in Amp heads. When I first got it I was using an Eden VT300A later I switched to a EV Dynacord (studio amp) with a simple dual 15 band EQ as a pre-amp. This speaker will really show you what the difference IS between tube and SS. (but that is another thread). The highs are cristal clear without being harsh and the bottom end is more than sufficient for a single 12. The sound is clear and articulate without even the slightest touch of muddyness. How does it compare to the other speakers? I really can't say as I've only played them in a music store and you know what that is like. I doubt if you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. I even like the Avatar 112. It's not a Bergi but it "gets the job done".

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    havent head the epi or ea 112, but i like the bergantinos better than the aguilar 112s. like it was said before the bergs realy bring out the differences in heads and basses. i love the two i have! great tone, loud and easy to move. i play a modulus 5 string and all the notes have great tone and even volume.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree!