112 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lgrankin, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Looking for suggestions...

I'm considering selling my Eden 2x10 xlt cab and purchasing two 1x12 cabs. It will make it easier to gig and rehearse with the two bands I have going at the moment.

How does the Genz Benz Neo X112T compare to the Berg HT 112? They seem very similar in terms of specs... I've seen all kinds of suff about Aguilar, Epifani and so on, but not much about Genz Benz.

At times the cabs will be used together (4 ohms) or individually (8 ohms).

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    If portability is an issue the Berg is quite a bit smaller than the GB. I like the HT/EX112 stack a lot. The Genz stuff is ok, but I'm sure the price makes them attractive.
  3. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    hi, im waiting on 2 1x12 tech cabs (GERMAN) to be
    delivered .read raving reports on them, let you know
    how i get on.will be running them with an i amp 500.
  4. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    I sold my 210XLT and picked up 2 EA CxL112's. Sound level, bottom end, clarity, and portability for my rig have all gone up. I don't even look back. That said, the 210XLT is still a good cab.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Speaker specs are really inadequate for getting the whole story, in my experience. You either have to listen to all the ones you're interested in, or take a chance on reviews, which are always biased in some fashion. Bias is inevitable, because our ears are all different.

How about telling us about your musical direction? What styles you want to dial in? How much power do you have available?

Anyhow, I have the CxL-112. It's phenomenal for EUB, and very good for fretless BG at moderate gig levels. I have the Schroeder 1210 for bigger gigs, and its really no less portable than the CxL. The two cabs together sound amazing, but I've always had PA support any place I would need that much volume.
  6. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have an Aggie 112 that I had to add a lot of mids to punch thru. I recently added a Avatar B210 Neo. I think the two cabinets complement each other nicely. The 12s go low and the 10s add punch.

Of course the cabinets you are considering may be voiced differently but I have heard others say 12s do not punch like 10s.

7. I play in two fairly loud rock bands. One comprises two electric guitars, acoustic guitar, drums, two keyboard set-ups, some percussion and all kinds of vocals... seven guys in all. I like a tone with allot bite and definition. The other band is a standard five peace and not nearly as loud.

I will power the cabs with an SWR 750x (750 watts into 4 ohms) and play a five string so the cabs must handle the low B. I'm looking something that will be very portable.

I've played the Bergantino HT210S. A truly amazing cab that I'm very tempted to purchase and later add the 12S, but I was curious about the versatility of two 1x12's.

8. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think the Bergs would do the trick. Mine handle the low B of my Tribute L-2500 extremely well. Low end is very well defined. I think the HT has a sweet tweeter, too which helps bring out the definition. They aren't as punchy as 12s, but have a very sweet sound to them. Extremely, extremely portable, too. I can fit a head, the two cabs and two basses in the trunk of my Nissan with room to spare. And they are surprisingly loud, especially for the size (and I play in a pretty loud classic rock band). Everyone I've played with looked very skeptically at them when I first pulled them out. But once the band got going, look out! My guitarist couldn't help but smile - he was like "Dude! Those cabs are freaking awesome!". I've heard people say they are not as deep as other cabs out there, but mine do the trick, especially through my Aphex Bass Xciter...
  9. pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    I went from a eden 210xlt to 2 berg 112 ht's and have been very happy with the results. The small size was the main reason I chose them. I only play 4 string , sometimes play in loud situations and have not had a problem getting the volume I need. The ht works well with upright bass also.
    good luck