1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

112 Combos - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terribilino, Sep 25, 2017.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I've been vacillating for ages between buying a 115 and a 210, but it's starting to dawn on me that a 112 might be enough for my needs. It would really only be a practice amp (no band, alas), but I'll want to be able to play along with iReal Pro, and a tuner would be nice. The TC Electronics is an obvious candidate, as are Fender and Ampeg. But what else would you recommend?

I play classic rock (60s and 70s) - finger style - and I have a passive P-Bass with flats and an active Jazz-style bass with rounds, both 4-string.

A combo would be the most convenient, but if you have any cab / bass head pairings to recommend, I'm all ears - especially if it would mean more volume. 500 USD budget, but I could be convinced to go higher.

Thanks.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If it's only to be a practice amp a 110 combo is plenty....but if your budget allows, you might want a small head and cab for versatility, just in case your needs change.

SJan3 likes this.
  4. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish

I've checked out a lot of 112 combos as I do kind of have a need for one. I'd recommend:

PeaveyMAX 112 has everything you are looking for and comes in well under your budget

I'd also look at Traynor SB112. Rock solid. Doesn't have a tuner though

As per lomo, a 110 would be enough for solo practice - however both of the 112's above are 200 watts and would give you more flexibility if the need arises - for not much more money

5. Ravenblack67

Ravenblack67 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    South Carolina
    I use a Peavy Max 112. Has a tuner, XLR, plenty of power, and not too heavy.

6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Gotta go with the Ampeg. Great tone, monitor function and scrambler circuit for some SVT grit. I have the ba110v2 and it's perfect for in the home and then some.. At $179, it's a throwaway if it fails down the road. Mine has been flawless.

7. GK MB112ii......

1x12 combo.

You won't be sorry..

Blows Rumbles and Ampegs and Traynors of the same size out the door for tone. With the possible exception of the Ampeg BA115v2.

8. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    $500 would have bought you a used Aguilar DB212 and an SC500 a couple weeks ago in LA off craigslist.

If your local area is rich with broken dreams or touring musicians dumping their old gear there are many used gems to be had.

In SF you'd get a Schroeder or Aguilar 112 and a 500watt TC head all day long.

Hit music go round for a used GK 400rb and find a nice 15" cab locally. Mesa road ready would be my choice bc they sound good and are dirt cheap.

There's a Genz Shuttle 3.0 in GCs used section, that leaves a lot of room for a cab.

lomo likes this.
  9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I haven't played them all, but I love my Markbass CMD121P. The tone is as classic solid state clean bass tone as it gets, and it stays clean at high volumes. 380 watts through the internal speaker, which can be disconnected, and a speakon connection for an extra external speaker, which at 4 Ohms would give you 500 watts. The effects loop is parallel so it blends your clean tone in with any effects, so overdrive and fuzz are always heavy. Pair it with a character pedal for some tube tone, and it's a killer. 30 Lbs to carry! It isn't just a bedroom amp, this is a gigging amp.

I bought it in the TB Classifieds.

saltydude and Stumbo like this.
  10. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    This!

11. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I also used to use a GK 700RB-II with an Avatar 112, which is what I sold to buy the Markbass. I really like a 1x12 cab, I like the sound of 12s, but I had a Peavey 410 once and it also sounded great, very punchy and tight sounding/feeling. The 210s I've tried to me always sounded "honky" but I haven't tried a 210 in a band mix before and they might be a lot better that way. The 112 for me has been the settling place, though I could see two 112s also or a single 212 also being amazing if I ever needed the full 500 watts.

But the Markbass combo is also 30 Lbs. The Avatar cabinet itself was about 50-60 Lbs IIRC and the GK head was just under 20 Lbs, so not unmanageable, but not a single handful either. I carry my bass on my back and my amp in one hand and am still able to close the hatch on my SUV and open doors, versus my amp in a bag on one shoulder, my bass in a bag on the other shoulder and two hands full carrying a cabinet.

And my rig still sounds awesome, which is the most important part.

Stumbo likes this.
  12. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd be looking for a used Class D head and a separate extension cab - my personal favorite is Aguilar. Way more versatile than a combo. And I used to be a combo guy! You can find what you need all day long on Ebay, Craigslist, Guitar Center, or even better, your local music store.

lomo likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm still a fan of little combos for certain gigs. Drag it in, throw it down, plug it in. They're great for small stages where the amps need to have a low footprint and not be grossly loud, and they beat taking a $2000 rig to an outdoor gig where rain is predicted.

SJan3 and Stumbo like this.
  14. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Great tips - thanks to to everyone who replied.

Sorry, I've been offline for of few days. Yes, as one poster mentioned, a 10" would be more than enough for a practice amp; but then of course all of us couch heroes dream that one day a band will magically form, and then it would be best to have something that could at least do practice sessions, and maybe even small gigs.
    • Traynor - As a Canuck abroad I'd love to get this, but they don't sell them where I live. Our bass player used to have Traynor cabs back in the 80s when I was on drums.
    • Peavey - Hadn't thought about that - nice call. Peavey's rock solid.
    • GK 112 - I've had my eye on this one. This might be it. The powered extension cabs are a cool idea.
    • Markbass - Hmm. It's the power that's intriguing. New would be too rich for my blood, but I can find these used. Good idea with the effects pedals as well.
    • Aguilar + head - I checked the prices where I live and... wow. Far too expensive for me. If I had the talent, sure, but I'll leave these to the real musicians.
    So I'm still flipping coins, but I do appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

15. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    kSaHF7W.jpg
    This might be the thing for you.
    It is for me! An Ampeg PF-350 head with an SVT-210AV cab.
    Beautiful sound, from very low volume up to way too loud for your house.
    Very versatile too IMHO.
    (600 dollars in total. More than your given budget, but worth every cent. I have this set-up at home for a couple of years now, and it isn't going anywhere)

YMMV, IMHO, IME.

justbass57 and SJan3 like this.
  16. Gbonus Uralias

Gbonus Uralias

Sep 11, 2017
    California
    I've been happy with my CMD 121 Markbass cab - I added the new york 121 ext cab a couple of years ago and have been very happy. A solid workhorse for the last 4+ years plus with great sound and quickest setups and tear downs allowed which pisses everybody else off. haha!

I don't miss lugging my old GK-15 cabs and heavy amp etc.
    You can squeeze this little guy back in by the drummer with minimal space and if you need it, throw in the added 12" on the other side of the stage, and it sounds amazing.

I think this last weekend - I may have blown the main amp speaker though.
    We were playing in a huge warehouse with no PA to run threw (only vocals in PA) so and I think I pushed her a little too hard. by the end of the night it sounded like I had an overdrive pedal plugged in!! arrrrg.

good luck

peace
    G

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Carvin MB10? I love mine, very small, great for practice, can still hang at reasonable volume gigs.

I had a Peavey Max112 before this and while I really liked the form factor + the built in tuner, the DI was too noisy for gig use.

18. If you can find one as they do not make them from the factory anymore, but the Mesa/Boogie WalkAbout Scout 1x12 combo is a good one.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. Hubba-Whaa

Hubba-Whaa Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    In your price range I would also take a look at the Hartke kb12. Solidly built, 250w which is plenty loud enough for rehearsals and many live applications, and the kickback design definitely comes in useful for stage monitoring. I was never a big fan of the old Hartke all aluminum cones, but these new hydrive speakers have proven, to me, to be very rich and full sounding.

I have the kb15 and have yet to find a gig it can't cover, especially with the option to go directly to the FOH.

20. If you want good sound and portability, the GK MB150S is pretty unbeatable. It’s only 26 pounds, and will cover a small venue. Add an extension cab for medium venues.