1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

112 thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    With all of the 112 cabs out there ... who makes the most usable full bodied 12? A stand alone single and as a pair which is the most solid sounding deepest ( real bass tone unlike the nasal Eden d112slt). Thoughts?

2. Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12, Baer ML-12, Barefaced Big Baby, fEARful 12/6.

I have two fEARfuls myself, and they are a killer cab. All the cabs I listed are using designs much superior to mass produced commercial cabs.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

8 ohm versions (i.e., not requiring 2ohm minimum when combining a pair:

Baer ML112.... nice 12+midrange design... punchy, handles bass EQ nicely, and the particular mid driver extends into the lower treble, giving you everything up top most would need short of Marcus Miller sizzle

Bergantino HD112 (the replacement of the amazing HT112ER). Not a lightweight, but big and deep and punchy.

fEARful 12/6 While not to my personal taste (low end a bit too extended, top end a bit harsh in that 'gank area' to my ear, and the combination of relatively low efficiency and 8ohms limits the heads you can use if you really need to wump). However, deep and LOUD (EDIT: from posts later on in this thread, it seems the spec for the current fEARful12/6 has changed from the earlier models I tried (different mid driver, revised crossover). So, my 'gank area' comments might not hold at this point)

LDS (Low Down Sound) 12/6.... with the Faital mid driver (used by Roger Baer also above), and the same woofer (3012LF) used in the fEARful, it is basically a smoother, sweeter sounding 'fEARful' to my ear, and if you specify rear ports, it is a GREAT form factor...small and beautiful sounding, and Don's Tolex work is the best in the business.

4ohm

Thunderchild TC112... probably the single best stand-alone 112 on the market. Studio monitor pure, loud as heck, creamy, punchy, plenty deep. Will keep up with most production 112 x 2 stacks if you give it enough power.

IMO and IME. These five cabs pretty much define the category of what I call 'super 12's (edit: and the Barefaced 12/6 if you live in the EU), meaning they use super heavy duty drivers, and can give you 210+ volume and low end with a single cab, when powered correctly.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Wow...great info. An 8 or 4 ohm cab/cabs will work because i use a shuttle max12.0 so a pair of 4 ohm will give 1200 watts to drive them with.

5. Sorry to hijack, but how do they do with effects like chorus and overdrive? I've been really curious about this

6. With a properly implemented cross over those little mid drivers handle effects well.

7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Then you might also consider the Acme Flatwound and/or Full Range 12's. Also in the "super 12" family.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice to see you around on the site.

Given you are a Genz guy, the updated Shuttle 112 cabs are quite amazing. Of course, nothing like these ''super 12's'', but that are as good as 90% of the production cabs I've heard, and very small and lightweight. You would have to use two of them for most gigs, but they are quite impressive, and a HUGE improvement over the original Shuttles.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Those are cool also, but quite different from the others. Super low bass extension that results in very low efficiency, and they don't handle peaks (like slapping) very well IMO and IME. Nice cabs though, and if you use the Flatwound/Fullrange stack (both come in 4ohms) with the Shuttle Max 12, it is impressive.... super deep, and a bit rougher and sizzlier up top than the other cabs I mentioned.

10. Deep - Aguilar GS112 (perhaps a bit too deep, scooped?)
    Deep & Full - Bergantion HD112 (a touch of scoop in the 1-2K area, just a touch.)

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very nicely. Roger Baer's model (ML112) with the very organic sounding Faital mid, and the somewhat higher crossover point, sounds particularly good with a warm/distorted type tone.

Chorus is all about mid midrange to me, and would not be impacted for better or worse by the mid driver design IMO.

12. With a 91.1 dB 1 watt/1 meter sensitivity, they are a "no" in my book. Even with a pair of them at 4 Ohms you would need two of them to match a fEARful 12/6.

13. what about the Jack 12? that might also work. It's a 12 that's loaded into a horn, designed to naturally couple the impedance of the air inside and outside of the cab or somethingorother like that.

Okay, so I'm not too well-versed in how the system works, but I've heard they can compete with a 410, but aren't too big on the low-lows (like the fundamental frequencies).

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Kjung, thank you. It has been a rough 2 years. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes and dropped to 148 pounds. Back to 170 so it is controlled. It is nice to be back.

15. Good thread...excellent summary reading on the latest high end 112s.

The Baers are about to hit the UK, so I might pick one up later in the year.

Its a shame the TC (AK) cabs aren't available through a dealer here. I would snap a TC112 up straight away. Not so keen on international shipping as the sting from the VAT, etc, is horrible!

16. Welcome back! It was your posts on Genz that encouraged me to try them out, and now I have two of their amps. Great gear and service.

17. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Genz is a great company . I wouldn't trade my 12.0 for anything

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you made it through OK:bassist:.

K

19. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    This doesn't seem to be a problem with the Eminence mid driver which is the recommended driver for "stand alone" fEARful 12/6 boxes.

Also: some of the recent crossover modifications for the 18Sound mid address this "gank" area.

20. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I've thrown just about every effect imaginable at my fEARful 12/6 cabs (Alpha mids/no tweeters). They always repond in a very predictable and pleasing manner.