1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

112 vs. 210? Volume levels equal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ashdharma, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    I need some guidance and help in choosing a new amp.

I currently use:
    Fender 250(watt)/210 combo
    Which, according to Fender's site does NOT have a true preamp, just an input level.

It's worked just fine for the small to medium sized gigs I play, but I would like to get something that has the following:

Tube preamp
    12 in speakers (No more 10s for me!)
    Lightweight & expandable

I have in mind:
    Shuttle 6.0
    with either a 112 or a 212.

My question is:
    Would a good set up with a 112 be loud enough to compete with a 210 that isn't really too loud to begin with?:help:

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    depends on how many watts but say you have the same amp and both cabs are the same manufacturer so that your comparing apples to apples, the 2x10 will be louder.

3. Apples to Apples, a 2x10 will be louder. That said, I'm sure there's a 1x12 combo (or head/cab) that would be louder than your current 2x10 combo.

A Shuttle 6.0 is a good place to start if that's what you like. With a 2x12 cab, it gets LOUD for sure. A single GB 12 with that aint no slouch either.

4. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    Thanks for your help.

I definitely plan on upping my wattage.

I got inspired by the mini-rigs of doom thread and would like to get a set up that has a 112 that I could use for most small-medium gigs.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The 210's will move a lot more air than the single 12" will. The 210 will seem louder, and most likely would surprise you by going lower frequency than the single 12".

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Normally, with a 210 cab and a 112 cab of similar quality, the 210 will be louder. However, comparing a Fender combo to a shuttle with 112, I'd guess the shuttle will be louder. Also take into account the wattage. Is the Fender 250 watts just using the internal speakers, or is this with an extension cab too? The Shuttle is 375 into 1 12, or 600 into 2.

A shuttle 6.0 combo with 112 and a 112 shuttle extension cab should give you PLENTY of volume. I just bought that setup myself, but haven't gigged it yet. It sounds great and is capable of getting quite loud at home. Next weekend will tell the tale.

7. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    The Fender is 250 watts just using the internal speakers only.

Ideally, I would like to get a single 112 now, then later (when money's not as tight!) I would get another if I needed it.

That sounds like a sweet rig cheezwiz, congrats!:bassist:

8. soleil4716

soleil4716

Mar 11, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I was recently thinking about replacing my SWR Working Pro 12 with a MarkBass 210 combo. I put them side by side and although the MB stuff was louder, I could not get the warm SWR sound out of it.

IMHO, a 210 can lack some bottom end when tilted back. I took the MB 210 back to GC and will keep the SWR for now. In the fulture I'll try the GB shuttlemax with the NEOX 212.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    12" combo you say?
    check out the Mesa Walkabout Scout