112 vs. 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 112 with 115

3 vote(s)
  2. 210 with 115

33 vote(s)
  1. I have a 300 watt amp which I'm running through an SWR 115 cabinet. I want to add either a 112 or a 110 to it for more definition and volume. I still like a lot of low end, but the single 15 just isn't giving me quite enough clarity. Right now I'm leaning toward getting an Aguilar GS 112. What are all of your thoughts? Thanks.
  2. bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    Well, depending on the design of your amp, 300 Watts could be a lot of power, or a little. You could add the Aguilar 1x12; and it may make your sound more defined. But.....your amp may not have enough power to drive both cabinets at a good volume.
  3. I have an Ampeg SVT II Pro. (all tube). It's pretty friggen powerful. I probobly should have mentioned that.
  4. I am in the process of selling my Eden 410XLT for either a couple of GS112's or a good 2x10. I personally am not fond of 15's. So I would say add the 2x10. You might find that you like sound of 10' better. Good luck...
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you like you're 15", then get a nice 2x10! great combo!
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well depending on the manufacturer i suppose, but i would go with a 2x10 cab. 2 10s push more air than 1 12..
  7. Would a 210 and a 115 sound too bright? I play in a blues band mostly, and I like a nice deep bass sound.
  8. A 15 and a 210 is a very classic setup. Guys have been using it for years. If you play blues,that would be a great setup. Plus,they would stack up very nicely together. I don't think that it would be too bright. I prefer a nice,fat sound too. But,bright is a subjective term.
  9. I just went to a music store and played my amp throgh a 115 and a 210 to see how it sould sound. I also tried two 115s. (There were no 112 cabinets in the store). I actually liked the sound of the 2 15s better than the 15 + 10. I know that's weired but I like a lot of bass. The 210 just seemed a little two bright. It was like there was a subtle but noticeable layer of really trebley tone. I don't know how else to describe it. There also seemed to be some unwanted string noise or something. The 15s on the other hand seemed to not give quite enough definition, (although I liked the way they sounded over the 210 + 115). I think I might go with a 112, so I could get a nice compromise. So, who here thinks I'm crazy? :D
  10. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    You described all that quite well. Most 2x10 cabs range to about 15KHz to 20KHz and this will be the reason for the brightness that you were hearing.
  11. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    The right 2x10 cabinet will compliment your 1x15 almost perfectly. Maybe the particular combination of cabs you tried in the store was less than optimal. A 1x15 paired with a compatible 2x10 will cover a lot a ground.
  12. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Most amps and cabs sound brighter by themselves and in a music store,but in a band setting the sound gets muddy if there's not enough mids.

I have a Sunn 1200s that has a mid-cut switch that makes the amp sound real smooth by itself,but when I play with other instruments I turn it off,allowing the mids to give the definition to the notes.

I know you're talking cabs,not amps,but either way,don't underestimate the power of mids.Ideally,you should try the speakers in a band setting before deciding.
  13. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Hey Jacob,

I used a 15 & a 12 for quite some time... I loved it. IMHO a 2x10 will give you a more "Hi-Fi" tone (obviously depending upoin the cab), when coupled with a 15. More rounded... The 12 & 15 gave me a lot more bite. More bluesy.
  14. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Not me! Your ears (my ears, anyway) definately get ued to hearing things a certain way, and if you've been playing a 15 up 'til now, I'm not surprised to hear that the 2x10 sounded bright. It might or might not sound that way "in the mix" at a gig, though.

Either combination (a 1x12 or 2x10) might work, and not all 2x10s or 1x12s are created equal. Given what you play, though, you'd probably find the 1x12 more usable as a stand-alone cabinet, and it's nice to have that flexibility if you want it.

15. Jacob asked...

Would a 210 and a 115 sound too bright? I play in a blues band mostly, and I like a nice deep bass sound.

Hi, Jacob -

In my rack is an Ampeg SVP-PRO feeding a Peavey DPC1000. Speakers are Eden 210XLT and 115XL.

The rig has pretty significant thump - I like a bit brighter sound than you describe and have no problem getting it - but for that nice deep bass sound you mention all you'd have to do is turn the tweeter down (mine's up about halfway).

YMMV, though - I think next time I replace my cabs I'm gonna go with four 1x12" boxes - I think that'd meet my needs better than just about anything :)