112 vs Bag End S15D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Does anyone know how the 112 cabs made by Aguillar, Bergantino and Euphonic Audio compare to the Bag End S15D? Are they a deeper sounding cabinet? Louder?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes i do.
    by s15d i belive that you are reffering to the small bagend cube with no coaxial tweeter where the D refers to the deep red color of the cabinet. (some folks that D to mean that the cabinet is deeper as in the BD 15 and i the recent custom 1x15 by bagend that shares the same box as the new 210 bag end does)
    so we are talking the lil bag end 15 right?
    well i've had one and got to try it out against a bunch
    the bag end 15 is an odd duck, it doesnt have as much low end as some, but is exceptionally quick punchy and focused - the bagend 12 sounds similar but with very present mids and shyer lows - stacked these two sound awesome
    The aguliar holds its own with the b/e 15 and probably has more low end. It also has more treble with that horn (although i dont think that would be an issue if the b/e 15 had a coax)I also find the aguilar to be a bit mid shy for my tastes, but it sounds well with either bagend cabinet, and it considerably lighter.
    Bergantinos are the midgets of the group but i think their tight bass response makes them serious contenders, and they also have a wonderfully voiced midrange.
    Epifani pretty much slays the other cabinets mentioned (well in my opinion) but not to the extent that i would tell people not to consider the others
  3. I use a Bag End S12-D stacked on a Bag End
    S15-D , IvanMike is correct they sound awesome together. Plus they stack perfectly together being the same width and depth, to make one sweet looking little rig. They also are very efficient speakers that sound great with anything from 350 watts to 700+ (can ya tell I love these cabs?)
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    for years I used a S12c sitting on a S15b (black carpet 12 and birch 15) Mostly with my Carvin LB75 thru an AMP BH-260

tightest, punchiest, most focused rig ever!
  5. Interesting,

I use a S15D, no tweeter and stack an Epifani T-112 on top. Two diffrent cabs that sound great together. The Bag, big and deep and a little louder (sensitivity is higher), the Epifani more punchy and articulate with the tweeter.

Powered with a Mesa Walkabout, tone heaven.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Bag End S15D is a killer cabinet! Like the other guys have said...tight, punchy and focused. I can't say enough good things about them!:)
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have both the Bag End S15D and the EA CXL112. Here's my take. You can't go wrong with either but they are different amimals. The Bag End is a little deeper in the bottom with a more agreesive midrange. It's got more of an old school tone than the EA. Old school compared to Euphonic Audio not compared to,say, Ampeg!

The EA is just simply clearer,uncolored and more defined right across the frequency range. Very tight, but deep enough bottom. Highs are very glassy (but controlable if you want to tame them).

I bought the EA primarily for my upright but I have used it with my electric band (a fairly loud Motown,Funk,Classic R&B band).Even in the largest rooms we play the EA (like the BE) kicks out more than enough volume to cut through drums,guitar,sax and vocals).

When I practice alone I like the Bag End better. But when I play with the band I like the way the clarity of the EA cuts through the mix a little better.It has a more defined presence than the Bag End. Still the Bag End is a great cab but,again, it's different.

As an aside,I have tried using both together. What a killer stack if you need to push REALLY BIG air.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh, btw..........
    i tried a bag end 1x15 coaxial (with the tweeter) and a bag end 1x12 once
    holy s%#t!!!!
    that was the bomb
  9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you for your inputs about these cabinets. You guys have been very helpful and give me some ideas of what I need to do.
  10. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Steve S:
    I have had the BagEnd S15D stacked with an EA CXL112II Cabinet for about a month now. Although the EA is clearer and tighter bottom, the BagEnd comes through like a wrecking truck very loud and although the spec says 50hz it has a mean bottom. I chose the BagEnd over picking up another EA because of the size and loudness.
  11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Mikefish07.
  12. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I've had one of the Bag End 15's with the coaxial driver for years. It's very efficient; but be aware that the low end is lacking. Seems to roll off around 60 hz.

Loud and punchy mids. That's what you get. If that's what you want, you're all set.