Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

112s: Bergantino w/ Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Hello all. So here's my issue. Right now I'm using an Aguilar GS 112 with an Aguilar DB 659 preamp and a QSC RMX 850 power amp. When I need to for louder gigs I put my SWR Son of Bertha 115 under my GS 112 and run them in stereo. Doing this allows me to directly compare the two cabinets. (I've also put them next to eachother just to here). What I've determined is that I like the sound of the Aguilar way more. When I play live I tend to use a lot more of it than the SWR, which is too bad, because it's not nearly as loud.

So what I'm thinking, is that I would like the sound of two 112s a lot better than my current setup. I'm seriously considering getting the Bergantino 112 (the one without the tweeter, I really don't need it). I've tried it in a store and it sounds amazing and loud. It seems like it sould sound great with the Aguilar 112 because it has more punch too make up for the Aguilar's low end. That's the one problem with the GS 112. Although it sounds great, it may be just a hair to warm.

What do you guys think of this idea? I've been reading posts on how Bergantinos tend to be "power hungry." Will my power amp be powerfull enough? Would it be louder to run the Aguilar and the Bergantino bridged? Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've never been a fan of mixing and matching cabs from different manufacturers due to voicing and sensitivity differences, but I'm certain others feel differently.

If you have a two channel power amp, you should be OK with the sensitivity/efficiency issues since you can adjust the level of each channel separately. If you plan on running both cabs from the same channel or from a single channel amp, you might have issues.

3. What do you mean by sensitivity differences? I realize that one cabinet will be louder than the other, and handle the power from the amp differently, but how is that a bad thing?

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive been using the berg 12s for about a year now. The best 112s (cabs in general) arround. I think they are 17"x19" and 37lbs. I ran the 112s with a ebs td650, about 450-500 watts @ 4ohms. I have a aguilar onboard pre in the bass (5 string) and it handles lows and highs very well. Tonight I ran the same bass and cabs with a ashdown pre and plx 1602 bridged (1600 watts @ 4 ohms) and the sound is great. Again, handled it Very well. Just my opinion, I like aguilar amps but give me berg cabs. Good luck!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try the Aguilar with another Aggie first. They sound very different with two. I will say however that I have two Bergantino 112's and I've never been happier.

6. The thing is, I'm not going to have the opportunity to try two Aguilars together, because there are no store around that have them. I guess what I want to know more than anything is: Will the Aguilar and the Bergantino sound good together? If anyone has any first hand experience with these two cabinets I'd really be interested.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive tried both cabs but not side by side. I would tend to think they would sound good together. The berg being smaller and having more cut, I would think the combo would sound better if you ran the berg on top. My guess is after you have this setup for awhile you will favor one brand over the other and will trade in one. IMO I think it will be an improvement over the swr 15. I really like swr cabs, but two 112s from aguilar or bergantino is a great setup. btw, I didnt notice that the berg 112s are all that power hungy (like the 322) but can deffently handle it if you give it to them.

8. Thanks Inazone. It's occured to me as well that I would end up liking one more than the other. I guess I'll see if I end up buying it.

I guess I just want to be pretty sure first. does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't combine these two cabinets?

9. I'm really torn, Should I get another AguilarGS 112, or should I get a Bergantino EX 112. In a way it would be nicer to have two of the same cabinet, and I'm sure it would sound great, but it might sound even better with the Berg. Also the EX 112 would be a much better cabinet for upright after I finally get my pickup. I just don't know what I should do. Any ,ore feedback would be greatly appreciated.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you do decide to mix them, I'd get the Bergie with the horn! The Bergie x-over & horns are one of the things that sets them apart from most cabs, very sweet & smooth high end! IMHO;)

11. I've mixed and matched Bergantino and Aguilar cabs. If I had my druthers I'd have one EX-112 in addition to the pair of GS112s I have now. If I had it to do over again I'd definitely consider mixing the cabinets - the Bergie's got a smoother midrange and IMO compliments the Aguilar nicely.

Here's a pic of the stack my friend Jake and I put together. The Fodera, Lakland, Aguilars and the iAmp 800 are mine, the Surine, Kydd, WT-400 and the EX-112 are his. The Eden wasn't hooked up for this test and the iAmp handled the 2.67 ohm load nicely. Sounded like the voice of God.

[​IMG]

12. Al
    Nice tower.
    I currently have the HT/EX 112's and use them almost exclusively. I have thought about adding one more EX to the stack. Do you have all three hooked up at once?

I have a PLX2402 that I would run the two EX cabs at 4ohm and the HT on top a 8ohm controlled independently in parrallel mode, I don't think I could bridge it safely. How's that for an idea?

13. The EX doesn't belong to me - we only played with the stack for one afternoon.

I ran them daisychained off the iAmp - 2.67 ohm load - which the EA seemed to take in stride just fine.

If I had it to do over again I'd probably get one EX-112 and one GS112 - the Bergie has better mids and top end but the Aguilar's got the rumble :)

14. Well, I finally decided to hear the difference for myself, so I lugged my Aguilar GS 112 on the subway, and took a trip over to Rock City Guitars to check out the Bergantino.

First I A/B them. At low volume, both cabinetssounded great. The Aguilar definately has more low end, (I'm assuming this is because of the depth of the cabinet itself), but the Bergantino had a clearer sound with a better midrange. The Bergantino was also a noticably louder, but the difference wasn't enormous.

Then I turned up to a pretty high volume. The Aguilar lost a lot of clarity, and got very murky sounding. Then Berg, on the other hand, retained all of it's clarity and sounded amazing, even when I was standing right next to it.

Then I compared two Bergantinos to a Bergantino and an Aguilar at a pretty high volume. Both setups sound great, but the Aguilar gives more ground-shaking low end. With the Berg though, there's just the right amount of clarity I need.

So to summerize, my suspisions were confermed. I liked the Bergantino more, so sometime this week, I'm gonna go back over there and buy the EX 112. I'll report back how it sounds with my amp and bass after I get it.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds like a plan
    i tried quite a few 12s together
    i was mostly in favor of the bergie and epi 12's
    i have a bagend 15 a bagend 12 and an aggie 12
    the aggie was aquired in a trade at a guitar show and wouldnt have been my 1st choice (not that its a bad cab by any means)
    imho, the aggie has a definite scoop in the mids which can be an issue if you need to cut thru, but has plenty lows
    i use it with my bagend 12 which is a lil lows challenged, but has mids that cut thru and sound good
    the combo is quite nice
    keep in mind, (as you have already found out) that 2 identical cabinets can sound different than 1 of the same