115 as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 12, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm getting my 115RBH sometime this week. I'm trying to locate a cheap, used 410RBH, but until then all I have for a cabinet is this 115. I've got some shows coming up, and I doubt I'll have the 410 in time, so does anyone think I could use the 115 as a decent standalone until I can get the 410, or should I borrow someone else's cabinet for shows?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played with 115 stand alone for years. As long as it will make the volume you need, There's nothing wrong with it. I personally like the sound of 15's.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I would just try the 115 cab untill you 410 come in. The 115 should get pretty loud. It might not be your perfect tone but it should work fine for a few shows.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Try it out and see if you like it. I've had mixed results. Some 1x15s have worked really well by themselves and others just don't sound good by themselves. Try your cab and see if you like it.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've used 1x15's a lot
    as long as they sound good, are sensitive enough (measured as dB @ 1K @ 1 watt @ 1 meter) man thats a lot to say, and you have enough power, they are a tried and true piece of gear
    i like 10's as much as the next guy but 15's have that SOUND :D
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey X,
    I also have the 1x15RBH GK cab to go with my 1001RB head. Depending on the venue you should be fine! that cab will take what you have to throw at it. the only need for an extention to go with that I would say are the big gigs! You know the ones, out in the park stuff, Who's got the biggest, baddest, loudest rig in the neighborhood stuff. I play outdoors with a 1001RB 2x10 combo and a 1x15RBH cab and believe me I am heard loud and clear!
  7. I'm playing through an SWR Workingman's 15 combo with a two-guitar band and it sounds excellent. Plenty loud. I got rid of 900 watts and 135 pounds of cabinets and I've never been happier. :cool:
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, a 15 oughta be fine. I've kinda chosen to use mine at times, since I can really only use one cab at a time with my head as of now... and the 15 will give you some good low end presence. Might not be what you prefer, but I doubt it will sound really bad.

And plus its only temporary... I wouldnt worry.
  9. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    ive used an swr workingmans 15 combo for 4 years and i always was very happy with it
  11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Give me a decent 15 vs. a multiple 10 cabinet any day. I need decent bottom and 10s just don't cut it for me. 18s, on the other hand. . . :smug:
  12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I dig 15's, but there's no way a single 15" cab would handle anything above rehearsal volumes for the bands I'm in. Just the way it is for me.
  13. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, it seems pretty unanimous. It'll probably be a month or so before I get the cash for the 4x10, and then who knows when I can find a good decent used one, since they're a rare find.

I'm going to be playing 200-300 max venues with a GK 1001RB-II and 115RBH. 460 watts I belive. Nothing to worry about using 460 watts into a 400 watt cab, correct?