115 cabinet to go with an Ampeg BA210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nathan Fhtagn, Nov 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. A few months ago I got an Ampeg BA-210 to use with my Spector 5-string (strung with LaBella flats). I really like the tone I'm getting but I want to goose the low end just a little bit with a 15" cab.

There are several different 15" cabs by Ampeg and since all the local shops are really low in stock (and won't be changing that for the time being) I have to basically guess which cab will be best and just order it sight unheard. BUMMER.

Has anyone any advice or suggestions?

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    15" cabs are not necessarily bigger sounding in the low end dept. Most 1x15" cabs (to me) have a different, kind of old school midrange character to them vs the 10" and 12" cabs that I enjoy. If it's a larger box, it will have some decent low end. However, adding a 2x10 or 2x12" will often have bigger oomph down low.

DTRN, eriky4003 and abarson like this.
  3. The Ampeg SVT15E is in my opinion one of the best sounding 15 cabs I have played. Deep lows, great mids, and plenty of high end.

4. adk teleman

adk teleman

Aug 28, 2011
    Alex Bay NY
    Spector Basses, La Bella Strings
    I have 2 of the Ampeg Portaflex 15LF cabs and they are awesome. Adding 1 to a BA210 makes it sound really big!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No. Get another 210 cab.

6. I'm looking for warmth and clarity of tone. I've got flats on both of my basses and I hardly ever use a pick. I -do- like the tone of the 2x10 in the amp right now. It was my understanding that a 1x15 will blend with the 2x10 to get a more full, warm tone down below. Is that a reasonable expectation?

7. Have you compared the 115LF with the SVT115? That was the main quandary I've been facing. I don't really have a clear idea how they are different. I mean, other than price, that is.

8. adk teleman

adk teleman

Aug 28, 2011
    Alex Bay NY
    Spector Basses, La Bella Strings
    Honestly, I didn’t hear that much of a difference to justify the cost. I’m in love with the cabs I have. Deep rich sound and really punchy!

9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Warmth and clarity can be diametric goals with tone. It's complicated.
    15s are often warmer than 10s, but a 15" cab with a horn can have a ton of clarity, too.
    Worn in flats will have tons of warmth. However, there are pickups, processors/pedals and the amp in the mix, too.
    Also, in TB fashion, mixing speaker sizes is a very argued point. There are dozens upon dozens of threads about it on here.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021