1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

115 combo amp helping choose please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Mar 7, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    My location dosent allow me to try these out firsthand so im looking for some experience from tbers.
    choice of 5
    TC Electronics BG250
    Peavey Tour TKO 115
    Peavey Max 115 II
    GK MB115
    Ibanez Promethean P3115
    if it helps i use a pick with flats and play in grunge rock band
    Looking for them to work in band rehearsal setting

2. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    My MB115 sounded great and would work with you application until a power surge zapped it. Waiting to get it back now!

3. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    SWR workingpro 15 if you can find'em still

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I have the GK MB115. I find it a bit bass-heavy for my main uses (jazz), but otherwise quite good. For your situation, it may be ideal.

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Of these I'd get the TC or the GK.

6. If there is any chance you will want to upgrade later, you should consider something like an Ampeg PF-350 or GK MB200 and pairing it with any cabinet. You can upgrade the cabinet and/or add a second cabinet later. This setup will totally destroy any of those 115 combo amps.

7. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    Ampeg B-100R is a great little combo. Loud and great tone.

8. +1

If you buy used you can get a compact, light weight, gig-capable rig with great tone (PF350 or MB200 with a GK MBE 212 or 410) for about the same cost as one of these 115 combos.

9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've owned the TC BG250 and Ibanez P3115 and tried the GK MB115 a bunch in the store. The GK is the biggest and most open sounding and probably the loudest although not by much. The TC is low mid focused - good for a cutting rock sound but a bit boxy sounding compared to the other two. The Ibanez has a really cool smooth sealed cab vibe. I kept the ibanez because of the sound and the fact that it is a lot smaller than the other two. I need something portable but still big sounding. I have other rigs that I use for larger gigs but if I had to chose one of these as my only amp it would be the GK. Although it is not that much louder than the others I think you could squeak by on louder gigs easier with it.

10. I honestly think the TC is louder than the GK. I ended up buying two of them to aby.

11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    My impression was that neither was significantly louder that the other. The TC might be a smidge louder but you're really not going to be able to do a loud gig on the TC that you can't do with the GK. The TC is more mid focused so it might cut through more. I've never gigged the GK but have compared them sided by side in a store. All IME YMMV

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you try out a Max 115 II, try the TT boost function for this sound.

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    What does that function actually do?

14. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I had the gk-mb115-II. It failed after 21 days of intermittent use. Got very staticy, and then would just cut off. My friend in CO had one do the exact same thing. I wasn't pushing it that hard at the time. Had the 30 day return and used it.

It sounded good until it failed, and I loved the weight, but the 200W it was rated at isn't as loud as a backline 115 (175W). Just FYI

15. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    TT-boost emulates an overdriven tube head tone. You activate it, set the amount of the effect with the pre gain control, adjust your volume with the master volume, and then if you turn TT-boost off, your clean volume matches.

16. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a MB200 fits in the front pocket of my gig bag. I carry a 4 ohm Schroeder 15L cab. This rig sounds great and is loud. I also like the flexibility to switch components. I have just got an Ampeg PF350 to try with my cab. Love both of the heads and now trying to decide which one to keep. They are fairly cheap so maybe I will keep them both :hyper::hyper:

17. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    hoping to hear more.

18. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have only had Experience with the GK MB115 out of the choices you have listed and I like my MB115 a lot....

19. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I recently went combo shopping myself.

Bobby may be biased about the PV Max II, since he was on the design team :D ... but I thought it rocked. Far louder and deeper than I expected it to be considering the size, and it could do clear and hi-fi or old school smooth. The EQ and various switches made for a very flexible amp. Loved it for the price ($265 when MF is having its' often 15% sale).

The TC sounded great, too. I just wasn't able to dial in the specific kind of smooth but punchy tone I like for country. But everything else sounded great. They seem to be pretty reliable, too.

I looked at the GK MB combos and loved the tone (could do hi-fi clean or smooth punch), but I have read of more than a few issues with the MB series combos. I'll await the pitchforks from the GK faithful. :D

I haven't tried the Promethian but it gets lots of rave reviews on various forums. Just couldn't find one to try.