1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

115 vs 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandoFlex, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrandoFlex

BrandoFlex

Jan 15, 2013
    Pros, Cons,

Where and when to use?

Style of music most suited for?

What gives a fatter sound?

2. The one that is design better. No other answer available.

3. Speaker size alone has no bearing on it's tone.

It's all about the speakers specs placed inside a well designed cab.

Try a bunch out, and use your ears not your eyes.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I wont do a 2x10 (and have owned a few). I don't see what's awesome about having your sound shooting at your ankles. I call it being too low in the mix.

I love my Mesa PH 1x12 right now. I'd get another but it's all I need for my non-metal gigs/rehearsals.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Wait, a 2x10 sits too low but a 1x12 is okay?

Set the 2x10 on end like a big boy!

6. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    +1

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Haha.. funny thing is I totally spaced that I do in fact still own/use a 2x10. I just think of it so little (haven't jammed with that group for a while, where it resides) and like my 1x12 so much more.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    With any small cab, I find the best solution for it being down by your ankles is to tilt it back so it's aimed upwards.

9. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Use 'em all. At once. Together.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like a good 210 or 115, and I don't like a bad 210 or 115.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Need help finding my way home...:bag:

12. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I have a TL 1x15 cab (Eminence 3015 loaded), which I enjoy and use regularly.

When the gig is small enough, I use the TL 1x12 instead (Eminence 3012HO).

I built both cabinets, and really enjoy the bragging rights to a set of great cabinets!

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    115 works for me. Sometimes a 115 has a bigger box, although that's no guarantee that it will go deeper. But I've heard it said that larger speakers can more easily have longer excursion than smaller ones. Any truth in that?

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yep, exactly. Good ones are neato. Poor ones aren't so neato.

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Super. Those drivers are arguably as good as 12s & 15s get.

16. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    2x115 = sweet zone.

17. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    15s have slightly more area than 2 10s. 15s usually have a higher xmax than 10s. 1 15 is usually cheaper than 2 10s, and lighter, and can fit in a more compact cab.

In other words, a well designed 15 cab will be better than an equivalent quality 2x10.

18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    While I agree that there is no absolute correlation, I think the academic argument has overpowered observation to a slight degree. If you go to your local music shop and audition a large number of 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets you will probably start to notice trends and create your own generalizations that are reasonable, if imperfect.

Science is just as much about observation as it is about measurement, and that observations and measurements both produce data. If you asked a scientist to study the perceived sound of speaker enclosures they wouldn't just read graphs. They would conduct actual studies involving groups of listeners.

Another way to think of it is this. If you are looking at a specific cabinet that is 1x15 and you imagine what the same cabinet (as in manufacturer and product series) in a 2x10 might sound like, your intuition about in which direction it compares is probably right well over 50% of the time.

19. I would not say "more easily." I would say larger speakers usually have longer excursion than smaller ones. In the vast majority of cases this is true.

Of course there are exceptions. Some larger speakers have small excursions and usually these are cheap. Some smaller speakers have very large excursions and usually these are expensive. For example, there are a few 10s, like B&Cs, with very large excursion that cost around $200 each.

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Hi Vince. Yes, have some, lol.

Agree, but of course the 10" Vd is doubled in a 210. Generally though, as mentioned earlier in the thread, a 115 will outperform a 210. Still, a vertical 2 x 210 is a really nice option mainly due to the upper 10 (or upper two 10s) being close to or at ear height. But my preferred weapon of choice is a 215 (armed with 3015s or 15PR400s). No problem with me hearing it & considerably less bread than a similarly performing 2 x 210.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.