Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

11th hole on a pickguard???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 27, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I had found a good deal on a tort pickguard on stewmac. It has an 11th hole in the pickguard right above the neck pickup route. What is this hole for? It is stuck sort of in the middle of the pickguard and not on an edge to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

2. Well the old jazz pickguard style was the 11 hole one shown above. We're talking 1960-70 something, I guess. The 11th hole has since disappeared, but it used to be there for reasons unknown to me. I guess they still offer 11 hole pickguards for the older jazzes, but they will also fit modern jazzes without a problem. You'll just have a hole in the pickguard! ;)

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    maybe it was for the pickup cover?

4. Nah, I believe the pickup cover has 2 holes, which are to the left and right of the pickup, not above.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Word, yo.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have circled the pickup cover holes. Notice how they are not beveled. The beveled holes are for the screws so they fit flush. Since the cover screw would be on top of the cover, no need to bevel.

I would guess the 11th screw was to hold the cover down while putting the pickup in and out. Probably just engineering overkill.

7. the geddy lee jazz has the center hole too. MY GUESS is that at the time it seemed like the "keystone" of the pickguard.... not that it's needed!

of course i have no idea what i'm talking about. :D

edit: "I would guess the 11th screw was to hold the cover down while putting the pickup in and out. Probably just engineering overkill."

i should have read all the posts before i wrote mine... well said!

8. there's a similar extra screw on 70's P bass pickguards below the G string midway between the pickup and the end of the fingerboard.

it sometimes catches a bit on my fingers when popping strings.

9. my guess. Thumb rest hole pre drilled

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Thumb rest under the strings?

I don't usually rest my thumb on my A string.......

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    My guess is that the 11th hole could be a throwback to when pickguards were made of materials which were more liable to warping and deformation, to prevent it from lifting in the centre. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with though.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That would be my guess too.....

13. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    so this would fit a hwy1, but would just have an extra hole?

I will probably be using a neck pickup cover, but I don't want to drill extra holes. Probably use doublesided tape or glue it onto the pickguard. Easier to replace than a bass body with extra holes. Might even put a finger rest on it too the same way if I want the full vintage vibe. (although I would never use it)

Thanks, seems like the "warpage" theory makes the most since given the problems with older pickguards.

14. It's actually the I IV V drool plug hole :D

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This was for the thumbrest which was below the G string until sometime in the early 70s when they started putting the thumbrests above the e string where most players would use it. Leo originally thought people would play the bass with their thumbs and so the rest was placed under the g string to rest your hand on.

On the jazz bass pickguard its just an extra hole like someone suggested in case the pickguard warped or something.

16. on 70's p basses it is much the same as 70's J's- there are two holes drilled above the E string for a thumbrest, and the one below the G string seems to be for preventing the pickguard warping as said- it's too close to the string to be a fingerrest-

check this pic- (Simon Gallup with the Cure)-

17. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    If you wanted to use it and not have a hole there (for cosmetic reasons) you could just cut the head off of a screw and epoxy it in there. JB weld is amazing stuff!

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Indeed. There would be two holes if it were for a thumbrest. I think they started using that center screw on p bass models when they moved the thumbrest.