1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12/15/18-Christmas gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dlb1001, Dec 17, 2018.

1. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Had a Christmas gig at a local Chinese seafood restaurant in San Jose. The event was a paid private event that the BL and another person setup.
    The setlist and the band configuration was unique. Since almost of all of people attending were Vietnamese, half of the songlist was devoted to Vietnamese songs. The older crowd are into ballroom dancing so some of the songs were devoted for them. However, the Vietnamese have their own spin on how the genres (tango, cha cha, bebop, etc.) are done. So, for this style, BL brought in some people to play those songs. The keyboard player was especially talented; she is well known in the local Vietnamese community for her abilities. When a well known singer comes to town, she gets the call to play backup. Then, the BL brought another bass player and drummer to fill out the band, with the BL, himself, handling the guitar duties.
    The other half of the band did the American songs (that's the description that the BL used). BL added a drummer, a second guitar player and I handled the bass duties. Then, he added two singers, a mother and daughter duo. We all, fomerly, were in a band together but the BL was to coax into the mom into doing the event then she brought her daughter to help out. We did a range of songs, from Rod Stewart's cover of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" to Icona Pop's "I Don't Care, I Love It". If it was danceable, the BL put it on the setlist. The one song that I got play that I wouldn't have ever done in any other band, was "Spanish Eyes" by Engelbert Humperdinck. Not tough...just different.
    We started practicing for the event, back in August but it was tough to get everyone together, due to various reasons. The original setlist got changed 4 or 5 times, usually due to one of the singers not being comfortable with the material.
    The day, before the event, we spend that afternoon and night setting up in the restaurant's banquet room. The keyboard player's husband brought in his sound system for the FOH but soon found that we were short on monitors so I brought in a pair. We did an initial sound check then some of the singers went over their songs with the Vietnamese side of the band.
    The following night, we did the gig. I didn't take pictures so I was trying to stay focused on the gig but the GF did. I just have to get them off her phone, somehow.
    The volume was on the loud side but the people weren't complaining, after the wine started to kick in. Some feedback issues but the sound guy was able to keep it under control. However, two bass players playing on the same song isn't something that I'm too keen on. I think the other bass player felt the same way but that's what the BL wanted, lots of bass!

SWRnut, Mr_Moo, McG and 1 other person like this.