Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12/15/18 stringers - What do you use, and how much do you usually pay?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 23, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a set of strings for my Hamer 12 today, and they were $50. Hamer brand(made by D'Addario).

What else is out there, how much do they cost, and where can you find them?

2. hi jeff.

id contact the company and have them make you a custom set, or have them sell you the guages you want.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Jeff,
    Check out www.12stringbass.com Scott Simmons sells SITs for $39. See that link on the site.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    on that same site i see that musicvox 12-string sets are $18. i don't know if they sound good (i don't have a 12-string bass), but they are cheap. which may be a bad sign.

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Can anyone help? I am looking for wound strings that will tune up to Bb and Eb below a guitar's high b&e.I have a string endorsement with GHS ,but they only go as small as a 20mm wound.. I have been using a guitar extra long 15 and 10,but they are plain and have cut slots in my finger tips. They are about as responsive as barbed wire. Is it possible to make a wound string that small?

6. I just bought another set of SIT 12-string bass strings from Scott Simmons, his website is guitar parts resource . Good strings and great service. Read my review of these strings on the 12-string bass website. Another option is Just Strings . They sell in bulk, you could probably get sets for under $30 if you wanted to buy a half dozen sets at a time.

Ninestring- I don't know of any manufacturer who is making a long scale wound string smaller than 20's. They simply won't hold up. Wound strings in smaller gauges tend to break very quickly.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    Dean Markley makes a .018" that's not wound, but it isn't so small that it will cut. you might wanna try that.

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I am largely illiterate when it comes to strings-I always call companies and ask if they make a certain string,and never find what i need.Is there a central publication that lists every electric bass string available,all details including who make custom strings and indicates , for instance ,if a wound .10 is available in a 36" scale or if it is impossible to make?