1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

12 band eq and a gk 7oo rb-ii

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassking511, Dec 8, 2006.

1. if i want an a way to get an exactly tuned tone, would a 12 -band(0r so) eq work good with a gk 1001 rb-ii and its bulit in features

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To my ears, too many EQ circuits create all sorts of phase distortion problems and sound BAD (in a bad way).

Try the amp as-is first, learn how to change your tone with how and where you play on your instrument and adjust its controls...you'll be a lot better off.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The GK EQ circuit is a very powerful and different circuit. Learn to use it, making little adjustments at a time. It's a powerful little bugger.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    In my experience, most musicians never need to venture beyond a four-band EQ. 12 seems... uh... excessive :meh:

The GK's is definitely different because it's an active equalization system. - in other words, it can cut frequencies (just like most EQ systems) AND boost frequencies (unlike passive EQ systems). Plus, it's four-band, so that's also a plus for extra flexibility on the mids.

Combine that with its woofer/tweeter bi-amp setup, contour dial (for mid-scooping), presence dial (for boosting a particular range of high frequencies), and the 4/5 string button (for a 20Hz low boost that brings out the best of a B string)... you'll likely find that no additional EQ is necessary, unless you want to be able to change tones at the stomp of a switch.

Anything beyond four-band EQs, and I'd leave it to a studio engineer or sound guy to manage. IMO, that much flexibility is probably best for tweaking a PA to suit the room.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree. An add on EQ with a GK is redundant and can cause problems with sound and add to the complexity. GK EQ circuits can give you any sound you want, within reason. Also, adding on something like a Sans Amp is overkill. If you can't get a good sound with a GK head, then I'd look somewhere else in the chain, like the bass, strings, speakers and playing technique.

It also helps a lot to really get used to the GK controls and see what they do.