Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 Bar Blues - ( I - IV - V )

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by workingbass, Oct 23, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Hmm..

Writing the chord symbols for a 12 bar blues progression. I may be missing something, and I don't mean any disrespect, but does that constitue a lesson these days?

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Man,
    work in a music school and you would see how many "basic"/"simple" stuff needs to be written/explain down!

Mo'

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1. Specially teaching double bass, I notice how things that are so natural for me now like instrument positioning, picking the bow or playing a Bb scale in half position may be extremely difficult for a beginner. BTW, nice job, Workingbass!

4. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    It hard to write it too "basic" for old newbies like me.

Thanks!

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    When I first learned 12 bar blues and 12 bar jazz blues, you bet your butt my teacher wrote it out for me. He did one in the key of C major (of course ;) ) and my assignment was to be able to play 12 bar blues/jazz blues in every key. I still needed a starting point though so I could grok how it all worked.

6. Me and my guitarist were jamming to an old 12 bar blues style progression we had ages ago when we were in school

Good times, the bass runs and guitar solos you can work off them are ace (and sound harder than they are :D )