Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 bar jazz blues songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by leanne, Nov 4, 2002.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hi

My teacher showed me this form of 12 bar.

I - IV - I - I
    IV - IV - I - VI
    ii - V - I - V

Can anyone point out any songs that use this type of progression? I just can't get the feel of it by playing it, it just sounds bad to me. So I'd like to hear an actual song built around it. I've been listening for it but I don't think I can recognize it.

I also wonder about why the VI is major, but I guess this is the wrong forum to ask about that...?

Thanks
    Leanne

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That sequence (or a variation thereof) is incredibly common in Jazz, here are a few that spring to mind

Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader
    Miles Davis - All Blues
    Count Basie - Splanky
    Count Basie - The Kid From Red Bank
    Duke Ellington - Main Stem
    Thelonius Monk - Blue Monk

Sometimes it's used just to solo over, and the main "head" section might have it's own sequence.

There's also a hell of a lot of old Rock & Roll tunes that use the simplified form of this : I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V. That last chord can be a I or a V.

The VI chord is usually major rather than minor because that way it forms the dominant of the II chord - and the major 3rd in the VI chord help to lead to the II chord. If that makes any sense.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ed - Yeah I know they're not the exact same sequence, but they're all 12 bar blues, and as such are variations on the sequence leanne gave - I was trying to give something indicative. She did say "Can anyone point out any songs that use this type of progression?". The thing is, as you know, there are so many variations on the basic 12 bar blues in Jazz - loads of different turnarounds and substitutions and the like. I don't know of a tune off the top of my head that uses the exact sequence Leanne posted...