1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12" Bass Cabs - Aguilar, Orange, Mesa, Etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J_WELF, Jan 25, 2021.

1. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Looking to pick up a 12" cab.
    I have exactly one in the arsenal but its an Ampeg B-50r Rocket Bass combo which admittedly sounds great for a practice but not gig worthy. It may be recording worthy and i want to give it a shot as i will be recording soon (Instrumental surf with punk tinge).
    My plan is to get a 12" cab to get the best of both of 10s and 15s to use for recording and live whenever that will start happening again.
    I use a Hallmark 63 custom with flats and an Orange Terror Bass 500W head. I like the Orange head a lot and common sense dictates that i should just get an OBC112 but im intrigued by Aguilar db112 and Mesa always makes a great product.

If anyone has any experience with any of the options or has one that they love let me know good or bad. Think im leaning Orange but can be persuaded

Thanks!

2. LP Custom

LP Custom

May 30, 2009
    Welcome aboard!

TBH, any advice we can give pales compared to your own senses. If possible, try examples locally; if that’s not an option, look for YouTube reviews of them. Then factor in what you get from TB. Just my 2¢...

Gearhead17 and Doufuss like this.
  3. Do what you can to audition the cabs in person, with your bass in hand. If you can't, try to find as much information as is available including video.

Happy hunting.

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Depending on your band and how loud they get, a 112 by any brand might not be enough. Two 12's or a very good 115 would be better IMHO and IME.

5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    112av. It rocks. And, it records very well. 20201014_173912.jpg

PhatBottomBass1 and Jacobfred like this.
  6. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Nice!

west al likes this.
  7. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Yeah the test is to get one 12 I like then probably add another.

Wicked G likes this.
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The Orange 12 has no tweeter, the Aguilar does. You probably want to decide if that matters to you.

Don't let speaker size dictate your decision. Many 15's will bury some 12's or even 10's as far as speed and definition go. 15's sounding dark and 10's sounding bright/fast are inaccurate, dated sentiments.

I agree with this. I do a fair amount of lower volume stuff (or I used to). A good 12 and a solid amp covers that and a little more. One group I play with I have to double up on the 12's or use a different cab. So it really depends on your volume needs. Buying two 12's and doubling up when needed is a popular choice. If I'm unsure of a venue or gig, I bring both cabs.

Sounds like the rest of your rig is well sorted. That Orange Terror will drive plenty of cabs to painful levels.

Thud Staff, Wicked G and musicman556 like this.
  9. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks. I don’t know if tweeter matters. I snagged an Orange 12” to try out. Seems to sound great from videos and people who have them speak highly of them. Will see how it turns out.
    I have an Ampeg SVT 15” cab and I feel like it’s kind of farty. Not punchy enough so that’s why I wanted to check on 12”

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I don't care for tweeters on bass cabs but it is more common than not.

Have hear good things about the Orange 12's. Hope it works out for you. All of their cabs I've checked out have been rock solid.

11. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks looking forward to getting it. Seems like the tweeter is one of those things people have IN CASE but never actually use.

12. musicman556

musicman556

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Broken record here: the Mesa Subway 115 doesn't do the muddy thing that 15s of yore do. It truly is the best of ALL words, and REALLY powerful. Only gets better with an additional Subway 115.

Also, their lineup truly is designed to all play nice together. I love my SW115/SW210 stack, other love the SW115/SW112 stack, etc. All the Subway cabs have adjustable tweeters. I don't need a lot of upper end (no slap, etc) so when I use both of my cabs, I have the tweeter all the way down on the 115 on the bottom, and I just pull back a little on the 210 on top.

Let us know how you like the Orange cab!

13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    That's why I posted "a very good 115". Cabs like the Orange OBC115 and Genz Benz UBER 115t are stout, awesome cabs while others I have tried are not so much.

14. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks guys. I’ve been interested in the Mesa stuff but since I didn’t make a fortune on Game Stop stock I will have to keep saving my pennies lol.

LP Custom and musicman556 like this.
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    347F6B6C-765D-44B7-BB32-219C47A93B5B.jpeg Don’t be deterred by the DB112 having a tweeter. The DB 112 NT doesn’t. That’s the one on the bottom.

16. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds

Dec 29, 2008
    Third rock from the sun
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I really like my Ampeg SVT-112's . I use two of them with my PF-800 and one of them which I had converted to vertical orientation with my PF-500.

17. Aguilar, Mesa, Orange? Pick one already. It's not like there is a wrong answer in those choices.

18. So, I am not a tweeter fanboy...but, this...I have two Baer ML112 cabinets.
    0111211851.jpg
    1 X 12" + 1 X 6" / 350 @ 8 Ohms - The cabinets come with feet on two sides so you could turn it on its end and your Orange would sit on it perfectly.
    ml-112-cabinet.jpg

There is also a single ML212 cabinet.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    R Baer likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I've pondered on getting the Hartke HyDrive HD112, 1x 12" + 1x 1" high frequency driver with 3 way full on/-6dB cut/off switch, 300W, and switchable between 4 and 8 Ohm, and an impressive frequency response of 35Hz to 17kHz, and ultra lightweight too.

Don't know how it actually sounds though, but very attractive specs at least, and even quite affordable too.

12388307_800.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  20. J_WELF

J_WELF

Jan 25, 2021
    these look interesting. I’ve seen the name but never seen them
    Live. Will have to do some research

PhatBottomBass1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021