Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 " driver, cab and porting ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I scored an Bag END sealed 2 x12 empty. This cab has 2 sealed chambers and 2 cu ft of internal space. My though is to use someting like the Eminence Kappa or Delta or Delta Light and rear port the cab.

I'm looking for reasonablly deep extension and not much on top. If the cab went to 40 I'd be extactic as I'll be pairing it with 1 of my BE 2x10's.. Those guys fall off at 50 but have a screamin' strong mid-range.

So my quesation is which driver and port size & depth.

Thanks in advance!

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

In my cab rebuild (in sig) I used the Eminence Delta 12LF.

IIRc their specs, they were more suited to a ported design,
    your sealed volume of 2 cu ft is probably too small for them.
    My cab had a nominal cube of 3.75 cu ft, probably less that 3.5 when the brace and ports are deducted, and they sound
    great. On the Eminence website they call for 3-5 cu ft each,
    which is a lot.

The Kappa's call for 1-2 cu ft, and the Deltalites 1,25 cu ft,
    so those would probably be a better choice.
    The kappa's magnet is 80 oz, and the deltalites 7, so you can eliminate 9 lbs right there if you choose to. I assume
    the neodymium drivers are more expensive.

Run WinIsd and see how it stacks up.

Did you plan to vent the panel between the 2 or vent each
    chamber separately?

3. 2 cu. ft isn't enough for low end out of any 2x12 that I'm aware of. I would seal off one hole and make it a 1x12 with an Eminence Omega Pro 12. With a 4x4.5 port you can get an F3 of about 47hz. With an aversage spl of 94 it isn't the loudest driver out there but that's the trade-off for low end. I don't think you will do much better than this unless you find some very expensive drivers with an even lower spl.