Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" driver under $100 in <2cu ft box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Feb 11, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Anyone know of such a driver?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    No.

Look around used. maybe.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    There are hundreds of 12" drivers, and you can put any driver in any size enclosure you please. There are hundreds of 12" drivers under $100 that will work optimally in a box of <2 cu ft., but many/most are not efficient enough (SPL rating too low) to be used for pro sound.

There is a constant tradeoff between parameters. If you're building a bass guitar cab, you are concerned with a variety of factors, but the most important is probably the speaker's SPL, which is something you can easily lose sight of when you're concerned with just price and box size.

Generally, speakers that work in unnaturally small boxes make less sound, and speakers that are very loud require more box volume. The exception to these rules is where expensive drivers come in, so if you want a speaker that is both efficient, strong, and useful in a small box, you'll have to pay more. How much? It all depends...

4. Too bad the EA audio 112 Whizzies are four ohms only , unless you have one of the many amps that can handle 2 ohms and don't mind the degrading sound characterstics of 2 ohm operation. They are light weight. Use transmission line enclosures and have an efficiency rating of 103db. You may only need one compared to some of the others.

But out of everything I read here, I would shoot for the Genz Benz neo 112.

5. There are plenty of 12" drivers for 2 cubic feet. The Delta 12b comes to mind for cheap, but it is a 16 ohm driver.

Use the spread sheet.

As for the hundred bux... pony up the cash for a decent driver. There are plenty of reputable Eminence resellers (Wayne Parnam, Bernie Tillbrook, etc) that can beat Parts Express prices.

You get what you pay for. Skip Starbucks a few times, and use the money for a decent driver.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Bruce, that's sig material there; nicely done!

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah that's a truism if i ever heard one. i think that's going to be my standard reply to all of the new "i need an amp/cab/head under (insert silly amount here) bucks!!" threads.

btw, when you said 100 bucks cost i was assuming you meant the driver and the cabinet. or did you just mean the driver had to be under 100 bucks and you already had the cabinet?

8. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    Check out Mark's drivers @ www.audiopile.net, I've been using the 15's and 18's for about a year now.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Delta 12LF is well under a hundred and will perform quite well in 2 cu ft. tuned to 40 Hz, with a nice response hump in the critical 80-100Hz band.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Very true...About $50 plus shipping from Dave at Avatar, IIRC.

www.avatarspeakers.com

11. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I meant just the driver. I have plenty of material left over from when I built my home theater subwoofer and my arcade cabinet.

12. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Huh? From the products page:

"DELTA-12LFA 500 Wrms SUBWOOFER / WOOFER $114.99 "

Hmmm, maybe I will change my design to use a 15" I'd like small but that may not work for my budget.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The heading of the column that you read the price from is "suggested retail price"....shoot an email to dave@avatarspeakers.com and you'll get a response back very quickly.

FWIW Delta 10s retail at $90 but Dave sells them for about $45 IIRC... Don't let those pesky Retail Prices fool you.

Keep in mind that they're in Idaho (Mountain Time Zone)...their late morning is your early afternoon if you live in the East.

14. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I just ran the Delta 12FL through WinIDS. nice. it suggests a 7cu ft volume vented. I moved that down to half (3.5) and tweaked the tuning freq. The curve didn't change much and it's a nice curve. Thanks, I think I found my driver :) It is as close as I can get to my goal. It will have to be close enough then :)
    Now on to find a transformer... Yes, I am building my amp from scratch...

15. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
  16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You better drop back a post (and use the Delta 12LF) as the Peerless woofer that was used in that project is no longer available. Madisound sold their last ones a couple years ago...

How about one of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs (www.billfitzmaurice.com)? His folded horns are very efficient and you should be able to get plenty of racket out of a 10 or even an 8...

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    quitting smoking has saved me a ton - an average of $3.50 a day DOES add up!!

:)

18. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep, I decided I will save a little extra and go with the avatar cab that has the Delta 12LF adn tweeter. For that price it's only a couple of bucks more than what I could build it for. Oh well, I tried.

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Just make sure you add a 4th order LR high pass filter on the tweeter so that it's useable. The stock 1st order HP filter in the Avatar is almost useless. Check back threads for this mod, as well as a possible source.