12-inch cabinet with "Jaco" tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bedrock, Sep 12, 2004.

1. bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I am looking for a portable 12" cabinet with thick lows and a diistinctive upper midrange. I tend to favor the bridge pick-up on my basses, and I guess you could say that I like the Jaco sound alot. I really don't slap alot in my wedding band, so I am not looking for a "scooped" sound. Also, I don't play through a P.A., so projection is really important as well. Volume is not really an issue, as I find I rarely turn up past half way with my Bergantino 2x10. The cabinets I am considering are a Mesa Scout extension cabinet, an EA Wizzy, and an EA cxl12. Of the three, I have only been able to try out the Scout and I was definitely impressed, although I have been unable to locate any specs such as frequency response or sensitivity ratings. On paper, the EA cabinets look quite impressive but unfortuneately there are no dealers in Pittsburgh where I could try them out. I have searched the forum on EA cabinets, but any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Pennsylvania just plain sucks for music stores, it's not just Pittsburgh. Over near Philly there's a few decent ones, but those are the only ones in the state I ever found...I hated living there!

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hyped mids - meatly lows?

I'd say listen to Eden cabs.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, there are so many good 112 cabs to choose from. I have two Berg 112's and I can't say enough about them. Many people will tell you that one can't do the job but I'd have to disagree. The other choice that I'd suggest would be an Epifani 112. It naturally has more lows being that it's a bigger cab and it really excells in the low mids. The Berg is better as far as being such a balanced cabinet from lows to highs but you may actually want to take a look at the Epifani.

For what you're looking for I'd stay away from the Scout or the Euphonic Audio stuff.
  5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I know a local kid that is definitely a Jacophile, and he nails the tone with a jazz bass and a hartke kickback 12. Very accurate, but not muscular enough for my tastes.
  6. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I gotta agree with Emjazz and say that the Berg 1x12's are really sweet. 1x12 works for him and not for me on electric, but I think that's because he's running a higher powered amp than I am. I think it depends on how much volume you need. They are fabulous cabs though..."the 2x10 player's 1x12 cab" because they're fast and have such a sweet high end.

You gotta figure Jaco used a big old Acoustic 2x15 cab though with no tweeter AFAIK, so you know...if you have jazz bass and the right technique, you'll get it no matter what.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    If at all possible, I'd really encourage you to try the EA CXL112. It has a very full, clear and articulate tone that is very even across the frequency spectrum. I find them to be more clear, more even and more efficient than any of the other single 12" cabs that I've owned or tried. It projects extremely well, is very efficient (so you don't have to have a monster amp to drive it), and it's very portable.
    Some people don't particularly care for it because of its accuracy and lack of any "color". You won't get a wooly, old-school tone out of it without really working your amp and EQ. However, if you love the sound of your instruments and love the sound of your amplifier, seriously look into them. They're a little pricey but as I'm sure you've read, they're top end gear from a company with a great reputation.
    Just my thoughts.
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

That's the truth.

Bedrock, what amp are you using?
  9. bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I am using a GK1001 amp. I am very happy with the sound, as it is loud, clean , and quite punchy. I am not sure if it would have enough power for a single Berg 12, as I am aware that their sensitivity rating is a bit on the low side. Just out of curiosity, how does the tone of the berg HT112 compare with the the HT210, which I currently own? I really like the HT210, although it seems Just a bit mid-scooped.
  10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    The EA Wizzy is hella light and loud, sounds sweet and is relatively inexpensive. I just did a fairly loud outdoor gig with my iAmp, wizzy and another 1x12 and it sounded sweet.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I at one point got rid of the 112 Bergs for two 210 Berg cabs. They were great but I ended up going back to the 112's. Yup, the 210's have a bit of a scoop. You won't find that with the 112's though. My suggestion is to get rid of the 210 and go with the HT112/EX112 combonation. That way they're easier to transport than the 210 and you have the option to use just one of the 112's if you'd like.
  12. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Wilbyman is absolutely correct about technique & time. Being
    a Jaco fan: I had the honor or luck to loan him my rig in 1986
    in small club in SFO. ( with Brian Melvin). At the time I had an GK RB800, a PAS 2-10 cab and custom made 1-15 cab with EV. I could never get a great sound out of it until he played it. He was using a stock 62 Jazz with Rotosounds which I got to try out during sound check.
    It's a weird feeling when you play your hero's bass with him having a beer at the bar!!! And at the same time "realizing you shouldn't playing Jaco licks on Jaco's bass with Jaco
    listening to you...... (at least for me!)" Fortunately he didn't
    drink too much that nite ( a couple of Heinkeins) and then
    blew the crowd away on the last set. ( most of the set was
    acappella with no devices).
    To my dismay or realization: when I played his bass; it was not the bass entirely that gave him his sound!! (or the rig)
    either. Rather a combination of technique, concepts, time,
    etc. which gave him the "sound". At that time I could not
    emulate that sound.
    By the way: his bass played like butter!!!
    low action, ease of access from F note on E string all the way up to the 20th fret. (low resistance) It felt like someone put some WD40 or chicken grease on the strings & neck.
    He also used my friend's beat up old Acoustic 360 amp at a gig in Santa Cruz a couple nites later and blew them away too. (My friend was going to trash the amp before that 'cause it never sounded good either.) He kept the amp after that.
    Today: I realize I can get a bit of that sound and it
    took many years of gigs n practicing. And having good equipment helps too.
  13. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Go for the Mesa. It's the only one of the three that I have tried, played and gigged and it impresses me every time with tone and volume. It works alone in my 5 man band and it sounds killer.

Keep it on solid flooring to keep the bottom end from getting too boomy. We were set up on a platform and the low end was mushy. I moved it to the wood floor and it tightened up and was very nice sounding.
  14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You may want to add Accu-Groove to your shopping list. I haven't tried them yet, but they have great midrange response from what I've read here at TB.
  15. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    You should certainly listen to AccuGroove ( I have the Tri 210L) but it won't give you a "sound" as other cabs will.

They simply pass whatever you feed them very accurately.

So - if you are producing the tone you want thru the bass and amp you have - the accugroove will relay that.

But it won't ADD or SUBTRACT to what's being put into it as other cabs do.

Just an FYI from an newly converted AccuHead. :D
  16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are you playing fretless? The CXL 112 kills for EUB or fretless. I did a wedding last night on EUB with mine, and large outdoor festival gig yesterday afternoon, albeit with nice PA support. Didn't need any bass in the monitors (six piece band, fairly loud for a jazz group). Most of the other bass players did. Doesn't require a huge amount of power either. Your GK will drive it fine, I'm sure.

The Scout is nice too, I've played one a few trimes, but it's a completely different vibe. When I think Jaco, I think "articulation". The CXL delivers that, in spades. Haven't tried the Whizzy, but would like to.
  17. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Jaco used 1x18" Acoustic folded horn cabinet, actually.
    360 Preamp, 361PP cabinet with built in 220w (440w peak) amplifer. HHe used 2 preamps at the same time; meaning he ran the output of pre-amp number one into the input of preamp number 2 and then into his powered cabinet(s). I'm not really any jaco guru, I just know this stuff because I own the same gear (see profile)
  18. bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    There's no doubt that much of Jaco's sound came from his hands, and the last thing the world needs is another Jaco clone. That being said, I was using the jaco comparison to give a ballpark figure of the sound I am looking for and contrast it with the scooped sound that is so popular today. I find cabs that are voiced for shy mids tend to emmit a rather weak bridge pick-up sound. I am currently using a Roscoe 5 fretted and a Fender fretless jazz bass with Dimarzio Model J pick-ups. With both basses, the pick-ups are pretty hot, which leads me to the conclusion that I am looking for a pretty uncolored cab. The Accugrooves look very appealing, but they are out of my price range. The Berg HT112 sounds like a definite consideration, as does the EAcxl12. Has anybody had a chance to compare the EACXL12 with the EA Wizzy cab? I am guessing from the design that the Wizzy is more colored and "old school".
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play a Roscoe through the Berg 112's. The sound is over the top!
  20. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    If you are looking for clear mids the newer EA cabs are the way to go. I've owned both the CXL112 and the wizzy and had a chance to do a comparison at one point. The CXL has a bolder bigger sound with extended lows and highs. The wizzy is indeed more "old school". It has a nice warm round sound but is still clear and concise with nice mids. The CXL with its higher power handling was capable of more overall volume but at the same amp settings the wizzy was slightly louder with its 4 ohm load. The wizzy fit my needs better so I ended up selling the CXL but they are both excellent cabs. It can be a drag playing other gear after getting used to the tight, full, detailed sound that EA delivers. To me jaco's sound is "old school" ish -rounded off in the extreme lows and highs- and I think the wizzy could be a good match although either would do.