1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12 inch driver for EV cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by divetone, Jan 23, 2017.

1. divetone

divetone

Jun 25, 2012
    Years ago I built a 12" cab from EV Thiele Small specs. I put a EV 12L in it which obviously sucked for bass. Would like to purchase an inexpensive driver for the cab to use for rehearsal only. Will not be pairing it with another cab. 4 or 8ohm would work. Suggestions?

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    divetone likes this.
  3. divetone

divetone

Jun 25, 2012
    Ha! Bassmec, I'm just a roots thumper at best. I bought some used 12L's around that time. I remember them being kinda harsh and honky. I built a 2x12 version also with EV12L's. I let a keyboard player friend use it with some kind of head he had. It sounded killer with his Kurzwell. It was stolen out of his apartment soon after.
    Someone on TB posted a good review awhile ago of some drivers in the $60 range.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I wonder if an Eminence Delta 12LF might work in that cab, have not done the math on it.

divetone likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The mid voicing of the LF is really, really dark. Not suitable IMO without a mid driver unless DARK is your style. Not as bad as the 15LF but still not very open sounding.

Doug Parent, divetone and DukeLeJeune like this.
  6. Is a there a 3012 version of the Eminence 3015?

divetone likes this.
  7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Yes, BUT! Although the 3012HO works in the TL806 cab, the DeltaLite II 2512 sounds better IMO.

If the cab is built to EV specs, you can add more to the port depth (3.5" to 6"), and add the port cover. There are several here who have a similar set-up. Me included. Great for low volume rehearsals, private practicing... Not gonna compete with a loud drummer by itself, however. Two would be ok though.

8. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    It's that harsh and honky bit that cuts through the stage mix beautifully.:)X
    I have a pair of the even harsher and honkier short basket EV12S's in an old Laney big 2x12 cab that records fantastically with ribbon mic's.:)X
    Yup! The clangs the thang.:)X

9. divetone

divetone

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion! Ill check it out. The port depth is 3.5" but I'm intrigued with extending it to 6". Low volume rehearsal is the goal. I've got 2 Aguilar GS 112's for gigs or my old Ampeg Classic 4x10.

10. divetone

divetone

Jun 25, 2012
    Well, those are some hefty magnets on those drivers. Glad you are able to cultivate your sound. I like a little patina on mine like a boxing glove hitting a leather punching bag. I have two Aguilar GS 112's that I'm happy with. I would probably prefer the DB series but don't gig enough to justify the cost. Now if someone wants to trade their DB's for my GS's...................