12 inch loaded cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Jan 18, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I've started thinking about getting a 1x12. My main choice's are Epifani,Bergantino,EA. If you've heard any of them, how do they sound? Thanks.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Before i say anything,

i just wanna admit that i'm formerly a guitar guy just getting into bass. i know my guitar tones pretty well, but my bass tone knowledge might not be as "scholarly" as most of the other established doods here. anyways...

I like the EA cabs alot. At Bass Boutique here in Manhattan, i a/b'ed an EA 1x12 against an Aguilar GS112 and saw that the EA was much more open and present sounding whereas the Aggy sounded much warmer and almost muffled compared to the EA. the EA's tones seemed to make every note stand out clearly. But, i gotta admit, if i didnt hear the EA before the Aguilar, i would have loved the warmth of the GS112. But the EA was much heavier than the Aguilar. ugh...

Also, most EA's i've played seem to be more efficient than others for some reason. e.g. the Aggy wasnt as loud as the EA at the store using the same settings. Also, my EA 1x10 seems a louder than my Eden 1x10. might just be the presence boost of the EA.

Berg's 1x12s are great too. has a very clear hifi tone like the EA, but seems to add a little more in terms of delicious character. Great cabs.

I like Eden's too. similar to the Ag but with more upper midrange slice.

If you're in the NYC area, check out Rudy's Music. They've got EA, Berg, SWR, Ampeg and Eden cabs all hooked up to a switch box with Eden, Ampeg stuff. Usually i run thru the WT400. they dont have Aguilar, but you can run two avenue blocks over and up to Bass Boutique for their EA and Aggy stuff.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own two Epifanis but have not heard the others so can't compare them really.

I will say the Epifani has a nice round bottom and is very clear and present across the whole range of the instrument.

My reason for going 1-12 is size and weight. You can get great sounding small boxes that sound huge. I've used many 1-12 cabs over the years, from a homemade EV-loaded cube to a Genz Benz to the Epifani. Why I have two is that for some gigs where I just need gobs of volume, using two boxes makes for a rig that is still pretty small but can knock down walls.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Aguilars sounded their best, to me, in pairs. I've been impressed with the Epifani 112, though I didn't get a chance to really gig with one yet. haven't tried Bergies, none in MD so far.

I run even smaller cabs, two EA VL-110's and the clarity and faithfulness of sound still amazes me, many months after I got them, used. IMO they have it all. I still want to check out the Bergies but they'll have a tough time surpassing what I have, especially when I factor in cost. I got two like new VL's with covers for $600 total... and they're tiny;)