Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 inch monitor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Rice, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Anyone out there ever used or had experience with the SWR monitor 12 wedge. they have bag end speakers,compact size ,reasonable price,etc. Just wondering if a pair of these would work well on their own or is there something in the monitor design that prohibits use as full range cab?

2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Well, the speakers themselves would probably be fine. But if I remember right the cab is a tilt back (am I right?). If this is the case, then you're not going to get very good sound in the audience. The angle upward is meant to aim the sound directly at your head so you can get the best sound out of it onstage. So the angle would not be good for aiming the sound at the heads of audience members so that they get the best possible sound. You'd get some funky bounces off the ceiling, loss of certain frequencies, etc. The sound probably wouldn't be that good for the audience at a gig. But if you aren't getting them for a gig, they'd be fine, just make sure you're in a position (or whoever is listening is) so that they can look the speaker "in the eyes". Good luck!

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    As one can see and read from the SWR homepage you can put the monitor in an upright position and two different angles...

I have never seen or heard one of them, but I'm interested in this topic too.
    Based on my very good experience with my GK MB150 combo (1x12") with a 1x12" extension cab I'm currently thinking of getting a 212 cab for my H&K head (instead of my Ampeg 215). But two 112's seem to be an interesting alternative.

So I want to add a question: What are the pros and cons of using one 212 or two 112 cab(s)? Must be similiar to the 210 vs. 410 topic...
    IMO you get better flexibility with 2 cabs, but is sound suffering from this (e.g. less low frequ. output)?

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 01-02-2001 at 02:35 AM]

4. I run an SWR SM400S head into a 1x12 SWR monitor used on its own as a wedge for upright jazz gigs, and with a 1x15 for six string bass gigs. In this instance I sit the monitor sideways on the 15, so that the jack plate and handle are facing up. I use a speaker cable with a rightangle plug, and sit the head on top of that, and my wireless on top of the head. Because of the wireless, I can go to the back of a room to check my sound, and it sounds fine to me. The monitor seems to throw OK, although its hard to tell with the 15 going as well. I used to do a gig in an Irish band with a 4 string electric and just the monitor, and muso friends in the audience told me it sounded fine. I guess its a pretty good cab. I also have an SWR Goliath II 4x10 which used to sit on the 15, but I find I get a better sound using the 12! Aint it funny....

5. Thanks for the response guys! Marty I too have an sm400s with goliath III ,anyway my band has recently added some 18" subs and more power to our PA so I'm really starting to question the wisdom of hauling the goliath around especially to the small to medium clubs we generally play. I've heard so many good things on this site about bag end speakers and I'm a long time SWR fan so this 12"monitor idea seems a great way to downsize and add a little versitilty to my rig. I'm sure this is something I'd have to demo for myself, however the swr monitors are'nt exactly an instock item at the stores in my area. Thanks again for the input, and are ya sure ya never tried 2 of em?