Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 on a budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 22, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have always had a thing for 8 and 12 string basses.

i know that there are some models on the market made by Hamer, Dean and others.

i am looking for a good sounignand realliable 12. the Dean Rhapsody 12 seems to be a nice bass.

any experience and suggestion from 12 pickers?

thanks!

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well I would NOT recommend the Galveston 12. I had one. Unbelievable neck dive - I mean I understand, it's a 12-string, but the thing also had a very small body w/ a too-short upper horn. It was ridiculous.

Also the electronics it came with were pretty crappy.

3. I've played 12-string bass since 1990. In that time I have owned two Hamers, a B12S and a B12L (my B12L has been modified with Lane Poor pickups and slightly increased string spacing). I've also tried a few other Hamers as well as the Dean Rhapsody 12.

In my opinion, the Dean Rhapsody is the best value. It sounds good, has wider string spacing, and balances better than the Hamers. The wider spacing makes it manageable with fingers while the Hamers pretty much require a pick.

[​IMG]