1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12" or 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, May 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

1. Of course got to consider the speaker type, brand/manufacturer, cab configuration and how many, but when it comes between the two speaker sizes, which do you prefer more and why? Ready, set, go!

2. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Really? We just barely got through with the last stupid driver size thread and you're starting another one? I vote that driver size threads should be instantly closed and that those who open them be condemned to spend every waking hour for the rest of their lives listening to Lawrence Welk polkas.

3. Ok. Thanks for the insightful response.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I think it depends at least a relevant amount on SPL needs vs budget. If money is tight, generally speaking you have a bit more SPL/$ with a 15.

If you need portability, and can sacrifice some SPL, a 12 is generally more portable.

Notice neither reason is about tone.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    12s because that's what I have. i knew i wanted to move away from a 4x10 because they are in general rather big and heavy. i had a gk goldline 410 (96 pounds). i tried the gk neo 112s and liked them so i bought one and then a second one (30 pounds each). i didn't try the 15s, maybe i would have liked them too. i was looking for lightweight, compact, and portability since i have a bad back and the cabs are always going to or from a gig in a moderately sized hatchback or station wagon. i also bought a used fEARful 12/6 and am building another. i opted for the 12 and not the 15 due to cabinet size / form-factor and weight.

i don't believe there is any validity in statements that lump all driver sizes into the same category as far as sound. the difference between drivers of different sizes is precisely their size, and the sizes of the cabinets that they go in to. all other things being equal, 12s are smaller than 15s...

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I really dig a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s because the tall stack gets some speakers up close to me ears so I can hear myself, gets my amp up close to eye level for easy access, and has great horizontal disperson. A pair of 1x15s would probably move about the same amount of air, but I like the physical configuration of the tall stack (and I certainly don't need four 12s or 15s). It really has nothing to do with a preference for one speaker size over another per se.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

There are nearly 8000 threads with "speakers" in the title in this section of the forum alone. Here are just a few to help you find what you are looking for. There's no need to make everyone re-type their discussion just for you. If you have a specific question, ask away. ;)

AMPS FAQ!! Info on OHMS, Allsize RIGS-OverUnderPowerCabs DIY TechTalk-Links

Driver Size - A Different Perspective?

Favorite Speaker Size?

Favorite Speaker Size Poll

speaker size?

Cabinet speakers sizes

Bass Cab Speaker Sizes...

15” Speaker cabs

Speakers recomendation.

Speaker size(s).

Speaker Size Theory

Speaker sizes?

Speaker Size

What size speaker(s) for combo amp?

speaker size for metal?

Speaker Size Question

If speaker size does not affect tone, why do they exist?

Question about speaker size

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

JRA, tubedude, musicman7722 and 32 others like this.
  8. Understandable. I know a lot of the responses can stem from a personal preferences of configuration more than actual sound differences. I have used both the Mesa PowerHouse 2x15 and currently own and use the PowerHouse 2x12 and yes there is a big difference in other factors such as cab size, portability and weight that overlooked more than the actual sound for me.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM
  9. Seriously, No one is twisting your arm to type numerous paragraphs...but then no twists your arm for a response at all either. Never understood why people post a reply (some of which took some time and research) only to completely ignore the actual meaning of the post itself. Sure this a bass community and amp, cab, bass, strings, etc threads are a dime a dozen, if you get tired of responding then just don't. ;)

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I have and use both and find no compelling sonic differences. So these days I tend to prefer a 112 for anything happening outside of my house, since it's loud enough for my purposes and much easier to carry.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Just as you are within the rules to bring up a topic which has been beaten to death and is easily searchable, we are within the rules to comment on that. ;)

JRA, whero, pcake and 9 others like this.
  12. Sure, you are, but really those responses do not accomplish much or anything.

Besides I asked about two specific sizes and peoples opinions and preferences of the two specific...it was not another generic "what speaker size is best" type thread.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    REMBO and db59 like this.
  13. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Both are good. Tens are nice as well. No real preference.
    Tens for the harder stuff, 15s for the reggae.

Charlzm likes this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I did not ignore the meaning of your post. You wanted opinions and insight. I have taken the time to do research for you. I would think this is above and beyond what you were asking. Did you click on any of the links?

Let's explore the meaning of your original post. Could it be something like this? "I don't want to bother reading any other posts in this forum. I'd rather start my own thread and expect everyone to repeat their conversations just for me."

BassCliff

15. Thanks for your replies.

Wonder if some get annoyed on here with all the NAD, NCD and NBD (etc) threads too...was not my intentions...MOD close/delete this thread thus not for it to get out of control.

REMBO and Low Class like this.
  16. I'll play!

I'm using a Rumble 100 (v3 12")

I personally would like a Rumble 200c (15") or maybe some incarnation of an Ampeg 15". I like that vintage B-15 sound. But my BL likes me clean and clear, no mud, so I'm thinking of trying out a 2nd Rumble 100 to get 2x12 for this band.

RumbleMan3 and klejst like this.
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

New is good!

BassCliff

Aqualung60, GregC and BazzaBass like this.
  18. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have 12's and 15's, but use the 12's for gigging as they are much lighter in weight, and sound just as good as the 15's.

fretlessguy, Spidey2112 and klejst like this.
  19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    OP: I think you should ask yourself, honestly, why you started this thread. I can think of three possible reasons offhand:

First, you genuinely want to hear a variety of opinions about this topic. If so, you should be thanking @BassCliff for providing you with links to hundreds (if not thousands) of responses to your question -- and maybe apologizing for unnecessarily starting another thread that duplicates all these others if you weren't aware of them.

Second, you might actually have a more specific question in mind that isn't addressed in all those other threads. If so, you should clarify your question to make clear how it is different from the question(s) asked in all those previous threads.

Third, you just wanted to start your own thread, as @BassCliff suggested.

Is your reason for starting the thread one of these, or did I miss one?

20. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I like 15s always have. I’ve got a couple of Mesa Subway 15s now that I really like with a Mesa D-800+ But my go to rig is Ampeg SVT 212AV cab with the Ampeg SVT 7 PRO. The Ampeg cab is pretty lite with the 212s I think 56lbs has plenty of low end. Plus it’s only one cab to move around.

ObsessiveArcher and klejst like this.