Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 or 8 String Effect for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rody1069, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Rody1069

Rody1069

Jul 14, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is there an emulator or effect that could make my 4 string bass sound like a 12 or 8 string?

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Akai Unibass can do an octave-up addition as well as fuzz it up if you like... That'd sound like an 8 I'd assume, but haven't heard it for myself.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also, a pitch shifter like the BOSS PS series could do you octave up.

I'm thinking Bass Whammy could do this also? I've never used one, but I'm assuming it has a +12 range

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A pitch shifter (as mentioned before) combined with chorus can come close to the sound of an 8 string.
    The octave up volume needs to lower than the root note as the lower string on an 8 is louder than the higher string.

Its been a few years since I have seen anyone use 12 string basses live - so I really can't comment on the tone from a 12.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The ART Nightbass rack mount unit has a few pre-set's for that. If you know anyone that owns one
    you can try those and see if you like those.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use a Whammy pedal for this kind of thing. It's pretty realistic.

7. Roland Vbass has both sounds, Kinda. At least they are most realistic I've heard in a while.

Since i've played both an 8 and a 12 string bass, the effects really don't sound close, they all seem to lack the chorusy depth that you get when your octave strings are just a wee-bit off being in tune.
    frank

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Here's another plug for the Unibass...killer through a chorus....deadly when you use the distorted 5th- up setting and run it into another distortion and chorus.

Say boo-bye to your guitar player......

(insert evil, maniacal laugh here)

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Chorus... It is all you need, preferably a guitar orented chorus... Like the boss CE-2.

Alex