12" Silverface Bassman cab speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nomaj, Dec 28, 2017.

1. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    What is the best replacement speaker (if any) for the 12" Oxfords in a tall & shallow drip edge '68 silverface Bassman cab?

I want to keep the warm vintage tone of the AB 165 amp and cab, but I'm looking to give it a touch more volume before fart city appears, if this can be done without changing the overall tonal character.

Any suggestions? I definitely prefer the sound of this stock 12" cab over the one-notey stock 15" cabs that Fender started using in the early '70s, but again, if there is a modern 12" bass speaker that would preserve the old-school tone (and fit inside the shallow closed back cab) but give a bit more output, that'd be great.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Modern, I'd go with Peavey Black Widows. I have the exact cab with those in it. Real nice.

3. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    There are no specs available for the original Oxfords, but they are available for the current version of the Jensen C12N that Fender also used. It's a guitar driver, so unless you use a guitar driver you won't get the highs of the original drivers. The reason they fart out at low volumes is that their excursion is only 1mm. If you want to get as close as possible to the originals with better low end capacity the Eminence Alpha 12 is your best bet. The highs aren't bad, and the 2.4mm excursion will take more than four times the power than the Jensens before farting out. The Beta 12 has even more excursion, 4.4mm, but with only 50 watts that's more than you need, and the highs aren't as good as the Alpha 12.

4. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for your helpful replies!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022