1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12" speakers for bass? on a budget!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gutsofgold, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gutsofgold

gutsofgold

Jul 15, 2007
    I play a Fender J Bass into an Ampeg SVT Classic into the Ampeg 810.
    I also have a Sunn Concert bass I don't use along with an empty 4 12 cabinet. Also in this equation is an unused ABY pedal...see where I am heading with this!

What speakers should I put into the cab that would work out ok with bass? Since the sunn will be pushing these speakers I need ones that can take a bit of a beating, have a nice growl, and also can push a lot some low end. Unfortunately I need to keep it fairly budget friendy.

Do you have any recommendations for cheap 12" speakers that can put out some bass and have a nice growl?

2. dwhite1031

dwhite1031

May 9, 2007
    Try the Celestian Truvox 1220's. They're rated @ 150 watts.I have them in a 2x12 cab that my son uses with a trace-elliot head and he loves it. Dave at Avatar Speakers uses these in some of his 212 cabs for bass.

3. Eminence Delta 12LF's. I have them in both of my Avatar 212 cabs and in the 112's I just ordered from Dr. Bass. They sound awesome with either my SVT-CL or my Sansamp RBI/BBE 482i/Stewart World 1.2 rack.

• Power rating: ........................... 500 Watts RMS
    • Useable frequency range: ............ 44Hz to 3kHz
    • Magnet weight: ......................... 56 oz.
    • Voice Coil diameter: .................... 2.5"
    • Frame: ................................... Stamped Steel
    • Impedance: ............................. 8 ohms

4. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
  5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You really don't need to worry about the power rating of the speaker in this case. Even a very moderately rated (for bass use) 300 watt speaker will give you a rating of 1,200 watts once you're using four of them.

I don't mean to say, "Discount whatever the speaker says," but there will be very few 12" speakers designed for bass guitar use that won't have the power rating that you're after.