Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" speakers in the uk?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flamer, Jun 26, 2003.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    hello,

After years of reliable service i've decided to replace my laney 15". I just need to decide what to replace it with. The rest of my gear consists of an ashdown abm500 through a 400w warwick 210 cab. I play in a noisy indie rock band so i need to cut through the distortion and heavy hitting drummer! and due to back problems i would prefer as light a cab as possible.

Question 1: should I get another 210, 15" or the much touted 12" cabinet?!

and the main point of my post: where on earth can i get 12" speakers reasonably priced in the uk?!

thanks,
    Phil.

2. Try www.soundslive.co.uk if you are after ashdown cabs to match your amp. I hear very good things about their mini series which would be great for your back problem.

I would say go for a 12" or 15" - the classic setup with your 2x10". The ashdown has beautiful lows and you want to be able to faithfully reproduce them so no more damn 10's!

3. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    cheers!, i'll avoid the 210 then, i love my ashdown amp, so i guess it's a good idea to go for a matching speaker!

does anyone have any experience with the little ashdown cabs? i'm not that well versed with specifications, but surely a little ashdown couldn't compete with say a huge peavey 15? i know the speakers are the same size, but doesn't the surround have an impact on the sound?

plus i'd have to stack a 15 atop my 210 which seems a little odd?

sorry about my rambling,
    P.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got the mini 1x15, which I'm presently using on its own. Works well for me.

When I walked into the Bass Centre last summer looking to upgrade from my SWR Workingman's 12" combo, I wasn't really considering a 15" speaker but I'm glad I put my prejudices aside and tried this one!

Mind you, I think the 1x15 is only rated at 300W. You could always look at getting their mini 4x8 (rated 600W, as I recall) to stack on top of the 2x10.

Wulf

5. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    that mini 15" sounds perfect to me, although i don't know how i'd stack it, considering it's gonna be tiny compared to my 210!

also i have this preconception that it's in such a small enclosure that this will somehow make it quieter/less dominant than a larger enclosure, can anyone clarify this?

cheers for the advice,
    phil.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I must admit that I haven't done a lot of serious comparison between my mini 1x15 and much larger 1x15 cabs. However, it certainly sounds sweet and loud to me!

I lost the habit of assuming bigger = better for bass amplification when I heard a GK microbass stack - a 12" combo and a 12" extension cab which kicked out an unbelievably tight, punch and loud sound.

I didn't get to hear them in the context of a loudish band so decided on the slightly bigger Ashdown setup but small certainly doesn't mean wimpy these days.

BTW, the other important thing for me was transportability - the head and cab I use can fit snugly in the boot of my car (small Rover Metro hatchback). I could fit in another of the mini series cabs if I trimmed down the collection of miscellaneous car junk back there but most standard sized cabs would end up having to live on the back seat.

Wulf

7. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    thanks wulf and bass4ever for the advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Am now deciding between
    Ashdown ABM-115-300 (a few inches bigger!)
    and
    Ashdown ABM Mini 15T

i just need to get over this size thing, i always thought bigger and heavier = better, especially in the context of noisy rock bands!

cheers folks,
    Phil.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The best thing is to find somewhere to try them - preferably side by side and in comparison with your other gear. A small investment of time and travel will probably pay invaluable dividends in your search for gear that will work for you.

Wulf