1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

12" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmasta18, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bassmasta18

bassmasta18

Jun 8, 2007
    Ireland
    I am looking to get my first cab/head amp. 10's and 15's seem to be the most common speaker sizes. Im a total noob wen it comes to amplification so excuse my ignorance. I am afraid a 210 wont handle my 6er and that a 115 will be too 'sub-woofy' so i figuered a Eden nemesis 212 cab would meet my needs. 12's seem to be descibed as mid-orientated speakers, that suits me but im afraid it wont be clear. my current combo amp is a crappy 60watt behringer with a 12'' speaker, its loud for 60watts but playing solo its terribly unclear. am I wrong to base my judgements of 12'' speakers on my combo or is bad clarity a common characteristic of 12" speakers?? 

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    ya really gotta test a bunch of rigs in your price range with YOUR BASS then let your ears decide....have fun

3. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I played a behringer combo at a friend's band practice (it was his amp) that was 180watts, 1X12. I HATED it. no matter what I did to anything, I could not get a good clear defined sound. everything sounded like mud: all the notes were undefined and sloppy. I posted about my experience here on talkbass and people said that it was probably due to the aluminum cone it had. don't pre judge all 12" speakers based on one bad experience. 12's are great and there are tons of amazing 2x12 cabs out there. I personally don't know which ones, so you'll have to get other peoples' advice about that.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Personally, I like 10's and 15's with my big rigs, but I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12, and an SWR Workigman's 12, and as you'd expect, both are loaded with 12 in spkers. Both are tight and punchy with lots o bottom. But I think you should check out some gear as mentioned, and see what's right for you. Possibly a combination of spker sizes would give you full range on your 6. Like a 15 and 2 10's perhaps, or whatever combination sounds good to you.

5. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    YUP

NOPE.

You will probably hear every critique from one extreme to the other. I believe there is a general quality of sound for each of the different speaker sizes but there are also many exceptions to the rule. The only recommendation I can make is to try out different cabs and judge for yourself.

I own 10's, 12's and 15. Each of which sound great in their own respect, WETM. I have 15's that do not sound like traditional 15's and 10's that do not sound like traditional 10's and 12's that kill, YMMV. I enjoy the sound of each of these. Does size really matter?

6. Here here! :D

Actually as long as you have a good quality speaker/cab, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. For me, 12's are the best of both worlds, but I've had 10's, 15's and 18's and they were all good.