Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 string and 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Garage, May 22, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Are there any famous songs that somebody uses a 12 string or a 6 string bass? The reason I ask is because I don’t believe I ever heard somebody play a 12 string bass, and im kinda curious to find out how it sounds.

2. In courses or single?

3. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Just name a famous song where somebody use a 12 string or a 6 string.

4. There are a lot....

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Famous eh...

That rules out Primus.

6. I remember hearing "My Name is Mud" and "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" in the olden days, before I played bass. I've always thought that they were rather famous.

7. 12 string- Pearl Jam "jeremy".

also used as an effect in Metallica's "wherever i may roam".

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep. I want that sound so bad. How did he get that? Did he tune that 12 string a certain way or what?

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    A lot of the stuff done by Cheap Trick was done on a 12 string (Trippled 4 string)

[​IMG]

Also a good bit of the Kings X stuff

[​IMG]

10. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    He used a six string, not at 12 string for those songs?
    Right?

11. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Don’t think I heard Cheap Trick, but I remember there was band called Kings X.

12. Correct, A fretless 6 string

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man I always forget that we get some youngsters around here (of course they aren't so young anymore, but then again, that would make me old, and that's not going to happen, so let's just drop that line of thought...)

Cheap Trick songs you may have heard on classic rock stations (or your parent's Cassettes or LPs if you can find a player for them)...

I Want You To Want Me
    Surrender
    Ain't That A Shame
    Dream Police
    The Flame

You probably haven't heard any King's X stuff by accident, but you should look them up and check them aout.

14. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005

I remember they played Kings X videos on Mtv back in the old days when they actually aired music videos. Im not so young but I can’t recall the band Cheap Trick.
    I guess I must check em out.