Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12-String Bass Compilation CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fretless12ver, Dec 14, 2002.

1. The first-ever compilation album featuring 12-string bassists has just been released this month by The 12-String Bass Page! It features 12 original songs in a variety of styles from bands throughout the USA and Canada. If you have been thinking about buying a 12-string bass and didn't know how it would sound, this is a perfect way to hear the wide range of sounds that are possible with a 12ver. All of the songs on the CD include guitars, drums, vocals and sometimes keyboards, so you can hear how the 12 sounds in a variety of musical settings.<p>Often the only exposure musicians have to the 12-string is through bands like Cheap Trick or King's X. As such it is common to hear opinions that the 12-string is a specialty instrument that's only useful for one or two songs per night, or that it will be overpowering, or it won't be a good fit with the type of music that the band is playing. This CD should help to eliminate these objections. It is a very eclectic mix of styles and sounds and gives an excellent overview of the diversity that is the 12-string bass.<p>The 12-string is gaining popularity as more local and regional players add them to their 'arsenals' but it is still unusual to hear them at your neighborhood club. This is largely due to the fact that until the past couple of years 12-string basses were very expensive, averaging about $2,000 for a new Hamer. Now with more modestly priced imported 12s new instruments can be found on eBay for under $500. Expect to see many more of these 'monsters' coming to a club near you.<p>So check out the 12-string bass website, you'll find everything you would ever want to know about the 12-string bass! And if you would like to hear some great new original rock songs from 12 progressive bands in North America with 12-string bassists, then order the compilation CD through the site and you will get FREE shipping to anywhere in the world. That's a bargain by any standard! All proceeds go to maintaining the 12-string bass website as one of the finest musician sites on the internet. Thanks!<p>Mark "Surf Rat" Rowe<br> editor, The 12-String Bass Page

2. I once played a Dean Rhapsody 12. Nice nice niceeeeee. I would have bought it too, but *sigh* I am somewhat (or completely) broke. Nice full sound, seems like it'd be killer for trio work. Someday I shall have one...but...until then....