1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

12 string bass nut and bridge measurements?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Builda ba5s, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Builda ba5s

Builda ba5s

Aug 5, 2012
    So I want to build a 12 string bass and wondering about the dimensions of the nut itself (length width depth) and how far the string slots are apart and the same for the bridge and tailpiece thanks

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    4 banger with 2 courses of octaves per string or 6 banger with one course of octaves per string?

If the former, askus@hamerguitars.com might bear some fruit.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I presume you mean 4 banger with two octave courses. I've seen bridges for those but they are pretty rare. I'm guessing that you'll end up finding a bridge and matching the neck width to the bridge rather than the other way around.

4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Go with a brass nut for your build. The string tension on a 12-string nut is just brutal.
    After the black plastic nut on my Hamer Chaparall 12 cracked for the second time, I had a local luthier build me a new one out of brass. Not only is it much stronger than the old nut, it noticeably improved the tone & sustain of the bass.