1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

12 string bass sound from a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jan 14, 2012.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've always loved the sound that dUg from King's X got from his 12 string basses, as well as Jeff Ament on the early Pearl Jam albums. Is there a pedal that gives this same effect?

2. Check out the EHX POG2 or Micro POG

3. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    +1

I especially like the Micro. It's still pretty pricey, but it throws in one octave above and one below and it does nail that "Jeremy" and Dug Pinnick tone. The tracking is excellent and it has a very old school OC-2 grit to it. And it takes up less space on your board as opposed to the bigger POG. And again, it's way less expensive. And with only 3 knobs it's easier to make quick changes during a performance if you need to. If you can try one out, you really will have fun with it. Plus it can double as a regular sub-octave pedal just by dialing down the upper octave, so it's more than just a one-trick-pony kind of effect pedal.

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    If you want a 12 string sound you'll need 2 higher voices, not one, so the micro POG is out. It can be done with a POG2 using the octave +1 and the detune slider though. Really though, it still won't sound very close to a 12ver except for maybe in a band mix. If you're playing by yourself, I think you'll be disappointed.

A little bit more of a subtle but "organic" 12ver sound might better be achieved using one of the micropitching chorus pedals (Tech 21 Boost Chorus, Eventide Pitchfactor or probably the new IE Polytope). All three of those pedals have some kind of HPF or tone control, so you can set it where the lows are largely unaffected, and then just use two voices slightly out of tune with each other and the original signal.

Having owned the POG2, the Tech 21 Boost Chorus, and still owning the Pitchfactor as well as an actual 12 string, I can tell you that the mircopitch chorusing route will be less "in your face" sound wise, but also more honest and realistic to the instrument in question.

Just my 2 cents. :)

5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    short answer...NO. no pedal will give you the same effect. I tried, then ended up buying a 12 string Hamer

Jeff Ament's sound is difficult to duplicate, even with a 12 string. I do not know what effects he uses

6. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    I decided to pick up a Rhapsody a couple years ago. Not a pedal-like convenience obviously, but cost effective to a Hamer or Waterstone. I love it, only bass I occasionally use a pick on. It is set up for finger picking though (root below harmony). It's surprisingly solid construction. Juststrings has sets for relatively cheap as well.

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Hmmm... I've found Pinnick's tone more difficult to emulate than Ament's. The 12-string in Jeremy sounds fairly clean IMO... probably new strings and good EQ/production, plus bass overdubs. King's X on the other hand requires a fairly sophisticated rig... distorted highs, clean lows, compression, and a lot of EQ.

As for replicating the sound with a pedal... perhaps somewhat similar might be possible, but I don't think a true 12-string sound is that likely. Also, a real 12-string allows for a lot of variation depending on picking technique, like how much octave, how much fundamental, etc....

8. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    If I remember correctly, he utilizes some preamp magic by sacrificing a Platypus before each show.

No clue honestly. I know dUg uses crossovers and separate amps. His tone is monster, especially on "Pray."

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I personally use a POG2 into a T-Rex Bass Juice: use it for 8 or 12 string emulation with some overdrive and tone control post to smooth it out...sounds damn good to our band and I!

10. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    The problem I have had is the highs. I just cannot find that same tone as when he plucks the octave strings on the fretboard

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Despite what some have said here...Yes. But not with a single pedal.
    I can multi route signals several ways on my pedalboard. The way I get 12 string (especially Cheap Trick style) is split the signal from a MicroPOG. Route the upper octave only to chorus set lightly, then to a delay with a very quick single repeat, then recombine with the separate dry bass signal (my onboard mini mix) and run the recombined signal through a VTBass.

It sounds very authentic (I used to own an 8 and 12).
    I get stunned compliments and questions from other bassists all the time as to how am I achieving it. Especially since I figured out a way to play "Jeremy" properly on one bass (the original's intro is two separate 12 string parts together), or when we launch into "Gonna' Raise Hell" (Yes, I know that was originally an 8 ;)).

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Samples would be great!!!

13. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    That actually sounds like a really good way to go about it, though I still prefer the real deal. :p

14. It can be done with a uPOG, just play an octave up, dime all three knobs and ROCK!

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I can do it with my Line 6 M9 with the Smart Harmony and Bass Octaver. Its close enough for all practical purposes.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Awesome info here so far! Most of the time I see King's X now, I see dUg using a 4 string so I figured technology had caught up and he was just using a pedal to get his 12 string sound without having to deal with a 12 string bass. And maybe he is, but maybe not as simply as I thought it would be :)

17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Oddly enough... with all that distortion it can be difficult to pick out the 12-string in the mix. I don't think that he's doing anything special to emulate it. Rather, it sounds like he's just using a similar EQ for his 4-strings. Several years ago I saw Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick play a P-Bass for about half the set. Still sounded very much like Tom....

18. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    I have an old issue of Bass Player (I think) with Cliff Burton on the cover. It has an article with dUg in it where he talks about how he had recently started recording exclusively with 12s, I'm sure when they play their classics he still uses the 4s if he recorded on them. The newer tunes I'm sure he uses the 12s. But, I could be wrong.

19. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    With a Pitchfactor, you can achieve cool results using the Harmodulator or Micropitch functions. However, I'm having troubles with tracking. The Pitchfactor tracks fine with two strings sounding simultaneously, but it glitches when three strings sound at the same time. I've been looking at Eventide support forum, but it seems like an unbeatable problem.

This may not be important to some, but I'd really like to know how the "Jeremy" outro sounds to you. Those arpeggios require three strings sounding simultaneously. Maybe the MicroPog tracks better here than the Pitchfactor? I have no experience with the MicroPog.

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The MicroPOG is a One Trick Pony but it's "tracking" (not really tracking, it's sounding select harmonics of the given note(s) for it's octave sound) is unshakable.