12 string bass sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Jan 10, 2006.

1. First of all - I know you can't get a "real" 12 string bass tone out of anything except a 12 string bass. But, will anything come close?

What about the Electro-Harmonix POG? What all could it do for a bass? Or the Digitech Whammy, could it do 2 octaves at once for a 12 string imitation?

Again - I know nothing will come close to the real deal, but will anything come close enough when you don't have the option of adding another instrument?

All comments are appreciated --- thanks, henry
  2. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    In my experience, the Digitech Whammy tracks well, but sounds way too digital for my tastes. You can kind of mask it if you use distortion, but still...meh. However, in a full band situation, the average listener probably wouldn't notice a difference and it might fill out the sound a bit more like an 8 or 12 string bass. I've heard good things about the POG, and it might come much closer to a 12 string sound with the octave up and octave up detune, but haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet.
  3. I keep finding all these cool clips online of the POG, yet - they are mostly all guitar.... as long as it works well with the bass:

:bassist: "it will be mine; oh yes, it will be mine" :bassist:
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think the POG works well with bass too.
  5. Well - I have been hanging out a lil bit over at The Dudepit --

and several there are getting fantastic results with a bass. And I have been told it will cover my 12 string bass sound, plus so much more.

Now, if I could just remember where I left that $325.00.... :meh:
  6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    adding a very slight delay and some distortion should help too.
  7. I have been getting really nice 8 & 12 string sounds using my Akai UniBass for both live and recording. It really helps to add a bit of chorus to the octave output.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Quick question: A 12 string plays 3 octaves? I thought it played a 5th and an octave.:meh:
  9. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    You can tune a 12 string to a 5th and an octave (Sometimes I tune my 8 string to root and fifth so every note I play is a big power chord), but "standard" tuning for most 12 string basses is not 3 octaves but your fundamental string plus two extra strings tuned an octave up from the fundamental. So, 2 octaves, 3 strings. Hope I explained that well...
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so it's like kind of like a 12 string guitar with 2 high strings? Is that so you can get some real chorus sounds or what?
  11. It fills out the band sound more. Listen to Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Tuned E1-E2-E3, A1-A2-A3, D2-D3-D4, G2-G3-G4

if I got my notes right...