Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 string(BASS) tailpiece with drop in string loading

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 3, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does anybody make something like this? I am one of those guys who clean strings with solvent and reuse them several times, but this is a PITA with my Hamer.

Or, I guess I could replace the tune-o-matic style bridge and separate tailpiece if somebody makes a 12 string bridge with drop in loading.

Anybody know if either thing exists?

2. Dang Jeff, you don't ask for much do you? :)

Could you pop up a quick pic of the stock bridge setup? 12 strings is a lot to comprehend and I would like to see how they did it before I make my suggestion. There might be a solution but more info is needed.

Thanx

3. embellisher

This is the best picture I could find.

Here is how mine(and most of them) works. You have one hole in the end of the tailpiece for the fundamental string, and one hole that the two associated octave strings share.

[​IMG]

And no, that jumbled mess of sloppy stringing is not on my bass!:eek::D

4. embellisher

Anyone have any ideas on this?

5. Hmmm... That is sort of a mess isn't it?

Here's what I was thinking - Instead of using holes to retain the ball, why not use posts that the ball ends can slip over. 2 posts per note - 1 for the primary and 1 for the secondaries. That way, you can stack the secondary strings and still be able to remove them quickly. You would retain the use of the original saddle piece.

6. another idea would be to cut slots in the tailpiece with a hacksaw so when loosened the strings can be lifted up and out.
    dunno if the tailpiece could still withstand the tension though.

7. embellisher

Hambone, I guess I am not following you. I can't picture what you are describing.

8. embellisher

That's something I though of doing, but I'm not sure the tailpiece would stand the tension either. If I had one made of steel, it might work.

The thing that I am most worried about is most drop in bridges I have seen have kind of a recessed area that the ball end fits in. If I cut slots in the tailpiece, it doesn't have the recessed area. Are the strings going to be prone to slipping up and then out of the slot?

9. you could use a countersink bit to create a well (for want of a better word) for the ballends to sit in,
    but the tailpiece would be weakened further.

maybe your best bet would be to get a block custom-made with slots- along the lines of the Alembic 8string tailpiece, or the tailpiece of the original 2-piece bridge that was on early Gibson thunderbirds.

http://www.12stringbass.com
    -they have a discussion board.