1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

12 string Bass VI type instrument

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Korladis, May 23, 2016.

1. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Has anyone ever made one? If so, who, and when?

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Basically an electric bajo sexto (with the top two courses tuned to E and B instead of F and C, and 30" scale instead of 25.5"). I unsuccessfully tried to convince @alder to make one... I also remember @bholder mentioning he would like to buy, make or have one made in the future.
    Who can make me a neck? 30" scale, 2" wide at nut, for "Bass XII"?
    Here's an existing one:
    Emerald Baritone Bass 30" scale 12 string - Oh, My!
    And, of course, there's also this ;):
    18 string bass?

lz4005 and Sartori like this.
  3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yes, like that twelve string. But electric.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Eric Haydock, bass player for The Hollies, who was known for playing Fender Bass VIs, had a 12-string version back in the 60s that Burns made for him. That's the only one I'm aware of.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've seen a bunch of baritone 12's in the 28" scale range, tuned B-B or A-A.
    But not a longer E to E tuned one.

6. You can order one setup b-b from Rondo. You may need to have it professionally set up to accomodate the low E strings. Might want to contact them to make sure neck can handle the extra tension.

Rondo Music Special Order / Custom Order Guitars | Page 1 of 1

Not all models offer both 12 string and 30" scale. I did not check them all, but AD, Harm, and AS do. I don't have one but I purchased a 30" 6 AL as a "second" that is shockingly nice. I may change pickups some day, but everything else is top notch.