12+String Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Apr 26, 2005.

1. There is quite a bit of descusion on these forums about ERBs, if seen some mention of basses with 12 to 15 strings but never seen any pics, anyone have any? I would be curious to see such a monster! Jean's Joust bass looks massive enough i can't imagine adding 4 strings to it!
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've seen a 18 string bass I think. It was a 6 string with a 5th and octaves.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    12 and 15 string basses generally have tripled strings--a 4 or 5 string with two octave strings for each regular string. Theres a whole site dedicated to them at http://www.12stringbass.com . Here's a sample picture of a Dean Rapture 12, which is a fairly inexpensive instrument:

4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The largest single course instrument is the Adler 12 string. Basses with 12, 15, and 18 strings are usually coursed basses. That is with octaves (or 5ths or whatever) of each string. 18 strings is just a 6 string with 3 octaves of each string, B E A D G C.
  5. anyone got pics of that thing?
    how would it be string from C# up 4ths?
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  8. :eek: thnx! this thing is crazy
  9. There are great talks about the new Adler "Hello Kitty 13 String", but you didn't hear it from me. :)

The back battery compartment will have a slide-out cosmetics case including mini-mirror and lipstick (preferably, a hi-fi trendy gloss like the kind Paris Hilton wears".

The Japanese will adore this creation.

10. No, there's larger ones - a single course 18 string :eek:

Let me dig up some pics....
  11. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Chapman stick style instrument??? They have a weird name for for theyre tuning and i cant remember but im sure someone will tell us. Any wyas I think its tuned down in forths until u get that really big string, and then tuned up in fifths after that.
  12. Yeah, it's definatly a made for tapping instrument. That one is tuned in fourths, though I don't know how the string arrangement is exactly. There are tons of different tunings that people use for them, including standard (like a 6-string bass + a 6-string guitar [and then some]), or tuned in 4ths all around.

It's made by Bear guitars - who also made an 18-string. Check em' out: http://www.geocities.com/bearguitars/
  13. hmm i would consider one of those things as more of a Bass Stick(Tap Instrument) then a Bass Guitar
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I suppose I should have said Adler made the most string-ed, single course, bass guitar in a standard configuration hehe. Not the most strings of any instrument of course hehe.