Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 string by Musicvox

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Gollihur, Jul 21, 2000.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Has anyone tried one of the Spaceranger 12's in person yet? I'm actually really close to their distribution (South Jersey) and was considering giving them a call. For $800, it seems like it would be a great bargain. However, if it's not well constructed or uses crappy electronics, it might be better to find a used Hamer or something. Anyone have any experience with these things yet?

------------------
    Mark Gollihur
    Bassist, Second Story
    http://www.second-story.net
    http://www.mp3.com/secondstory

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't played either, but I do recall seeing that Tom Petersson was endorsing Musicvox recently. That's a pretty hefty endorsement, considering his long-standing relationship with Hamer. I'd be interested in hearing more.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That is pretty surprising about Tom.

5. There's a review of the Musicvox 12-string in the most recent issue of BP, or maybe the one before.

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    BassPlayer magazine did a review on these a few months ago. I'm sorry I don't remember which issue it was.

The review wasn't too favorable in my opinion.

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The review is in the July issue, starts on page 70, they raved about the construction, pickups are about average.. as long as the neck and bridge are well made, yoiu could change out the pickups..

Actually, they gave the electronics a 2.5, but gave the sound a 4.. sometimes their reviews make no sense..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

8. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I know it's probably shallow of me, but who wants a bass with a big freakin' 12 on the body?

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A bass player who can only count to eleven. [​IMG]

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

10. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I played one at a Long Island guitar show,a few months ago.It was my first experience with a 12 string bass.I have however played 12 string guitars.I wont judge the tone,because all I could use for an amp,was a tiny(maybe 5" speaker)cheapo practice amp.I did however,play it for a solid 1/2hr.As I thought something like this would be good for a song Im about to record.In the past Ive found NEW basses at guitar shows to be not set-up properly.This bass could have used a little lower action,but it seemed to play well.It wasnt as fatiguing as I expected.It also stayed in tune well.Thank God.I found the 12 string sound to be intriguing,and kind of eerie,and chime-like, but how many times can you use it?The overall construction I would say was typical of the flood of modern inexpensive imports.The neck was kind of chunky,but not too fat.And youve got to wonder how long it can handle all that tension.About a week before the show,I was in the 20th Century Guitar offices,and played a different one(one was sunburst,one was #12white)albeit just briefly,and it seemed to play the same as the one at the shoe.Both were played sitting down so I cant comment on the balance.

11. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jazzbassman:
    I know it's probably shallow of me, but who wants a bass with a big freakin' 12 on the body?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Order the sunburst, it doesn't have the 12..

The 12 string sound is a sound that would only be used for a special effect, one of my bands is a heavy metal band, and I can think of 4 of our songs where I would run the lows through a bass rig and the highs through a distorted guitar rig, but it's not a bass you would play on every song, at least not IMHO..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

[This message has been edited by embellisher (edited July 22, 2000).]

12. not to dig up old threads but, i picked up one of these a little while ago and i love it. i can slap on it and it sounds great. can't really pop on it, kind of scared to because i don't want to break any strings. i think for the money it is a solid bass. i read bass players review and did not see it as unfavorable. the plus is that my thumb bass doesn't feel neck heavy after wearing this.
    it takes a little to get the feel of the extra stings but not to long, as far as the big 12 on the body goes i got one with it, i figure it is one less stupid quesiton for the guitar player to ask.

13. embellisher

gruffpuppy, I plan on adding a 12 string to my arsenal in the next 18 months or so.

How does this one compare the the American Hamer, the import Hamer, and the import Dean?

14. hard question, i only played a american hammer at GC in boston but the thing was beat to hell, the GC in closer to me in natick had one but i don't know if they still do.
    personally i like mine, i don't know how the cost is compared to the others but for the $800 i was very happy. for the amount you will probally use it i would recomend it for the cost. when it showed up i had to tune only the normal strings and it hasn't gone out of tune yet. the control set up is kind of weird but if you are a knobs full open guy this won't be an issue. there are 2 out puts one for each pickup or one for both, kind of like the RIC setup.
    i must admit i don't play it a ton but i love it when i do, on the second day i had it i came up with a cool slap and tap line and it was probally the first time my guitar player noticed what i was playing. my suggestion is to do the reaseach that you can do, after i compared prices i went with the musicvox, unfortanatly there is no were i know of that you can go and try one. wish i could be of more help. :)

15. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    *shudder*
    those things are fugly