Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 String Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rien, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    I have recently found a 12 string dean bass that is runing for $500 u.s. used. I played it and just fell in love with the sound, and I am intrested in buying it. What does everybody think about deans in general? I loved the sound, but just want to know about the reliability, ect.

Everything seemed in good conditon on it, and there were no scratches on it.

Also, how hard is it to find strings for a 12 string? just wondering.

Thanks, Scott.

2. rhythmrod

rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I had a Dean 12ver, bought it new for $800.00. It's a good bass. However, I also bought a Galveston 12ver for $300.00 as a backup. I played the Galveston almost exclusively and wound up selling the Dean. If you've never played a 12ver, they take some getting used too. I would recommend that you look into the lower priced Galveston (New) as opposed to the higher priced Dean (Used) just for value only. Also take into account what kind of rig you will be pushing it through. As far as strings go, well, I order mine through a local music store. Also, 12ver's are unique and not suited for all songs. One of the most interesting things about the 12ver is the response you get when you pull it out. I love it!

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Deans kick ass. I really like mine and I know there are other enthusiastic owners here.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One of these days, I will add a 12 to my arsenal. The Dean is one of several low priced options. I have played one, and it was pretty nice. I like the Hamer 12 a little more, but it's $799 new, so unless you could find a used one, the Dean is a better deal.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the Dean Rhapsody 8-string (almost the same as the 12 string except has bubinga top and only 8 strings :) )and I really like it. It is a great value for the money. The pre-amp is not all powerfull, but you can get some nice sounds out of it. I paid $450 new (ebay dealer) for the 8 string, I don't think the 12 strings (new) were that much more. They take a little getting used to for playing, but they are fun and can be MONSTEROUS in their sound.

-KB

6. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    I decided I'm going to get it. I like it too much not to! Thanks alot, you guys really helped me.

Thanks, Scott.