12 Tone System (Not Schoenberg)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassFishingInAmerica, Jul 30, 2020.

1. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    This is one of the more interesting videos I've found on 12 tone theory. The visuals make it easy to understand.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    And...... ?
    Then what? In the world of 'ear training' can anyone imagine the time the effort taken to hear the difference in one 'key' (grouping) from another?
    At what point does adding a system to randomness constitute a fall into a very deep rabbit hole? (a.k.a. OCD)

3. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I hear what you are saying. I’m sure methods like this are not used enough in music to where our ears are accustomed to hearing the differences in each grouping (How many people can hear the subtle differences in 1/2 and 1/4 step intervals in eastern music?). It is certainly not something I would want to use exclusively, but would be interesting to implement in some prog or jazz compositions. I’m just tired of music becoming so pigeonholed, without going into more extreme experimentation. No, it’s definitely not for everyone.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I think if someone went to the trouble to demonstrate Schoenberg's 12-tone theories with the same interesting visuals [sic] as that Jarzombek video, it would be instantly apparent A) why Schoenberg's techniques were adopted by a good number of well-respected composers; and B) that Jarzombek is only making things more difficult for himself by not adopting Schoenberg's approach (especially in terms of Schoenberg's grid vs Jarzombek's clock)

5. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    What he does is sort of the same as Schoenberg but bringing it in a prog metal context. He only skips the the rule that you can’t repeat the same note before you have played all the others. And also the clock vs the grid. Also he is using only single lines instead of also chords. This makes it more convenient for playing riffs. The sonic result is sort of the same as what Schoenberg and alikes did. I really like that sort of sound and have listened to 12 tone classical a lot but I think after 5 songs or so it will sound all sort of the same.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

That's a big amount of work to explain what happens.
    I like Blotted Science. They don't produce much though.

7. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Absolutely ... unless you are really creative with rhythm and timing. I think this a method that could be used sparingly to pepper up a composition, rather than using as many notes possible, as quickly as possible, throughout.

Les Fret likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021