Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" Users: Help a Brother Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've got a chance to buy an EBS 4 ohm, 2x12 for a pretty damn good price. I play small to mid size joints with a three piece. My guitar player uses a Super Reverb, 45 watts of pure tube power when we play out... (Damn guitars are so loud.)

How's a 2x12 perform as a stand alone cab? I've run with 2x10's and a 1x15 for most of my illustrious career but really wanna scale down to one cab.

Any and all 2x12 or 2 1x12 owners welcome to reply. I think the EBS will be great for my needs but would love to hear from others using similiar set ups or any thoughts on EBS 2x12's. I'll be running an Eden WT 300.

Thanks.

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm now playing through a 2 x 1-12 set up and the portability and sound are fantastic. I had been a 10" user for a long time (2x10+4x10) and really shopped, played and listened to a lot of cabs. I can honestly say that my two 12s are better sounding and at least as loud, if not more so, as my 4x10. Plenty loud for any club gig. I really like the lower frequency "oomph" of the 12s and I think they're just as "punchy" as 10s without being too "thin". Being able to easily transport them makes them worth their weight in gold too. I don't think you'll regret going to 12s. Just my opinions.

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Well, I've never directly A/B'ed. But I'm very happy with my 2 GS112's. IMO, more warmth than the 10's I tried, more punch than the 15".

Before hearing the 112's I had a preference for a 210 and 115. For me, the 112's really fit the nitch of exactly what I was going for by using the two sized speakers.

I had them in a studio (jam, non-recording) recently pushed by a WT-400 and using a Lakland. Simply wonderful!

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i used a swr 410 and an eden 210xlt
    after hearing the epifani 212 i had to bring my cabs for a comparison
    the epifani 210 sounded much more natural than the eden 210 but with less low end...........the epifani 210 just killed the eden 210
    comparing my 410 to the 212 was less night and day but the 212 had a much stronger and tighter low end
    so i am in favor of the 212 sound
    however, you may need more than 300 watts to really appreciate what they can do for you

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have used an SWR Silverado Special for about 3 years and have been very happy with the 2x12 configuration. I added a 1x15 for awhile and liked it, too (got rid of it because I was bandless). I recently bought a 2x10 to use with the 2x12 and I am looking forward to hearing how that will sound (hasn't arrived yet)...Overall, I like my 2x12, even though it's a combo it sounds good to me.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I play in three gigging bands, two are g/b/d trios, one is g/g/b/d quartet. The quartet is actually the quietest of the bunch. One trio plays some loud new rock (60w Marshall half-stack & LOUD drummer), the other is blues/Motown but the guitarist gets piercingly loud when he does the SRV thang.

Most gigs are in small to mid-size bars/restaurants. My bass, always BEADG 5-string, never gets any assist from the PA. Until recently I was using a pair of Goliath Junior 2x10 cabs for most gigs, and a Goliath Sr. 6x10 for especially large rooms/outdoors.

The SWR 10" arrays sounded nice and punchy and reasonably full, but a month ago I switched to a Bergantino HT212 and I love it. Over the six-gig span I've had no problem moving as much air as I did with my 2x2x10 setup. In fact, the HT212 gives the appearance of moving more air because the bass response is better.

The 2x12" is not as punchy as 2x2x10" (as one would expect... SWR 10" punch especially well). If my bass got assist from the PA, I would not have considered moving from 2x2x10 because I'd need the punch and not the lows. But the HT212 is punchy enough for my needs, moreso than larger diameter speakers I've tried, and the additional low end especially improves the overall sound of the trios IMHO.

I haven't yet used the HT212 in a situation where I used to use the Goliath Sr. 6x10... that'll be an interesting test for the HT212 (should I decide to put her through it).

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That is a very good point... clean lows require lots o' watts. My amp puts nearly 800 watts into 4 ohms from one channel (over twice that if I bridge).

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    More powa' is something I'm considering. I bought the cab last night and should it arrive by Friday. 10's do provide great punch but, on their own, ehh. A 15 is great for low end but, on it's own, ehhh. I'm hoping, because I've gone thru a few cabs latley, it will live up to my expectations. In theory, it should. But, we'll see how the practical turns out.

Most of all I'm just looking for clarity, which EBS is know for, volume and a balance between highs, punch and strong lows. (That doesn't make me very unique, does it)? ;)

I'm hoping the 12's will do.

9. I just tried my 2-12 cabinet tonight with the guys I jam with.It's a SWR Workingman cabinet that had Celestion 12s and a piezo tweeter.I changed the 12s to Eminence Kappas and the tweeter to a Foster.Wow!This cabinet is powerful,thats the best term I can think of to describe it.It doesn't cut through as well as my 210XLT but I could hear myself very well all the time and my B-string sounded huge.I traded a SWR 115 SOB cab for it because the 115 didn't cut through the mix that well by itself.This cabinet really does.I was competing with a Rickenbacker 12 string and a couple of Strats through Fender amps,a Twin a couple of 1-12 combos.I think it would sound better with my 210 XLT stacked on top for more mids but it sounds great by itself.By the way I'm powering it with a Carvin R 1000 head bridged into 4 ohms at 1000 watts but I think they would sound allright with less power too.I vote yes for 212s.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one thing to consider is the workingman's cabs are far inferior to swr's normal cabs

11. I beg to differ on the workingmans build quality compared to the SWR (PRO)cabinets.The only difference I could tell was in the drivers and the hardware.The cabinet I thought I was trading for was a SWR Bigfoot with two Bagend 12s and a Leson Piezo tweeter rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms.The Workingmans cabinet I got had two Celestion 12s and the same tweeter with the cabinet rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms.I was dissapointed and a little pissed till I looked at how the cabinet was built.It was built with the same 5/8 plywood as my Eden 210XLTs,the same carpet,the same corners and had a grill the same as the (Pro) SWR cabinets.When I checked the specs on both cabinets I found that the Workingman and the Bigfoot were the same size.Also I contacted a guy with a Bigfoot cabinet and found that they both have the same width and depth ports so they are tuned the same.I changed the woofers to Kappas that go from 45hz.to 3500 hz and handle 400RMS apiece for a rating of around 800 watts RMS total and changed the Leson Piezo with a Foster 150 watt tweeter like the Goliath cabs have,an improvement on the original piezo tweeter in the Bigfoot cabinet.Maybe you didn't read my post very well,this isn't a standard Workingmans cabinet.It's probably not as sweet as an Aguilar,EBS or an Epifani but it sounds as good to me as my Eden 210XLT and has a rounder and smoother bottom.

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Sounds like you ultimately built a Supercab, Blues. You should be able to beat the hell out of that thing without it flinching. I might have to try something like that myself if I decide to settle with 12's.

13. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I just got the Ampeg portabass 2x12 and I love it. I think the 12's have a unique voice. I think my 2 tens would sound a little lean when I hit notes kinda heavey on the e and b strings. The 12's fill them out nicely and still have punch in the mids. What I like most about them is my fretless sound is very sweet in the upper register. Think you will be happy with them.