Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" versus 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric234, May 12, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    which is better?

2. They both have their place and use. To me, it depends on what setup you are using. Personally, I like using a 15 with 2x10. But, I like using a 12 by itself.

Its all personal preference. One isnt better than the other. Just depending on what setup you are using and even what brand you are looking at

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    ok well i'm looking at ashdown and they have two 180 watt combo amps the only difference is one is 15 and the other is 12 i'm thinking about getting the twelve because it's a little cheaper so thanks for the advice

4. What are you using it for? Practice or gigging? 12" won't get as loud of deep bass as a 15" will, but if you're using it just for practice, perhaps portability is a factor.

It really depends on what you are using it for.

ken
    -----------------------------
    Hail Jesus You're my Lord
    I will obey your word

5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i'm thinking mainly practice and some minor gigs

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Eric,

For a 2nd amp set-up(practice etc), go with the better deal. If you're in your bedroom or small studio, you definetly don't & won't need a 15. For live gigging & more low-end, a 15 is beneficial(as are some higher end 10's/12's).

~S~

PS: Indian Larry was a friend of mine that's sorely missed...

7. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    yea how did you know him?

8. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    I had a simliar question. How would 2 12's compare to 1 15 as far as gigging goes?

Trigg

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...from my "get togethers" in the NYC...

~S~

10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    awesome i loved that last bike he did with the chain frame that was awesome and so was the rat fink bike

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ya shoulda seen/been to his "Coney Island Side Show"...

He was genuine & will never be up-staged in what he did, the end!...

~S~

PS: Sorry to sidetrack this thread

12. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    it's cool all i know about his side show was that he would lie on a bed of nails and stuff like that

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...like I said, ya had to be there...

~S~

14. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    I know this is a matter of opinion, but I would definitely go with the 12". I just recently purchased the EB 180 and was sweating (unecessarily) over this conundrum. After reading earlier 12 vs. 15 posts I decided to go with the 12 because many people suggested that the 12 has a tighter tone to it for playing mids and highs, which I tend to play a lot of.

However, I also ended up purchasing the MAG 115T deep ext. cab in order to use my full 180w. So once I got the 15 I did some comparisons running just the 12 and then just the 15 alone. Once I did that I was glad that I had purchased the 12 because I discovered that the 12 did have a tighter tone. Of course, the 15 hit the lows better and fuller, but alone, the 12 felt like it had much better range (that is, it was clearer across a broader range). The two cabs sounder great together

Of course after doing this, I decided that I wanted to try the 300 Watt MAG because I realized that I was gonna want the extra headroom eventually. So I ended up purchasing the MAG 300 210 combo. WOW. I really liked the 210 with the 115 cab. Talk about range. So, I ended up returning the EB 180.

The moral of my story. Get the MAG. It's essentially the same amp as the EB-180 but with more head room... and the cool little VU meter (very important, of course) :D

No just kidding. What I'm really saying is, if I were to have stuck with the EB, I woulda kept the 12" because I felt it had more range. Remember, you can always add another cab. A second 12 or even a 15 would sound great and really fill out the sound.

15. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    sweet bike by the way

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

2 12's will give you all of the low end (and then some) of 1 15, without the muddiness that tends to creep into the sound...especially on the low B if you have a 5.

I used to play a 300 watt 15" combo, tried a 212, and I'm hooked!!!!

Just so you don't think I play light stuff, the music I play is bass-heavy funk, R & B, and gospel. I doubt I'd ever go back to 15's....way too slow and muddy for me now