12" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Debating about buying an Ashdown Electric Blue with 12", has reasonable reviews in the main, but I'm a tad concerned that a 12" speaker is intrinsically insufficient for a good tone (they also do a 15" version of course, but pushing things beyond my budget coz I poor).

Any opinions? I'd be playing an Ashbory through it and want a warm, round sound.

2. hmmmm.... I think you may find some resistance to that statement here on TB

I personally think that if you are gonna have just one speaker, then a 12 is the one to have - in fact, especially if you are gonna have just one speaker!
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ... but the 15" will be louder and deeper as it puches more air.
  4. True, but IME 15s are usually slower and not as full range as 12s - the 12s are often more sensitive as well...

I have no experience with the ashdown cabs however, so best idea it to try it for yourself...
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    In any case the 15 version I tried sonded surprisingly good and is a superb value for money combo. I haven´t tried the 12" but remember I´m a fan of 15" speakers as I go for old school sounds.
  6. go with watever your ear tells you :)
  7. Hard to make an aural decision when buying online however (esp if can't find said models in the real world to try first).

I didn't realise 12 vs 15 was such a contentious subject!
  8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not necessarily. If the 12 has a longer xmax it can push more air, and if it has a lower fs it can go lower. Size alone is not an accurate predictor of driver performance. You need to compare at least a half-dozen specs, and be an expert in the field, to make accurate comparisons between different speakers based purely on those specs. Otherwise the only valid method of finding out what works best for you is to play through it.
  9. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    +1000 Bill. Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't know about all that scientific stuff, but I do know I love th esound from my 12" Bergantino HT112.
  11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I wasted 3 years trying to use 12's. EA's, AccuGroove's, Agi's, and Berg's, and was never happy with any of them. The only reason I stuck with 12's as long as I did is becuase I kept reading on this site how great they were. Well, I got rid of the 12's and went back to 15's and have never been happier!! Trust your ears, not what other people tell ya you should hear!!
  12. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I have to agree with 15s being too slow and papery sounding... but could just be the ones i tried weren't good ones. :eyebrow:
  13. Bill nailed it. Cab tuning has at least as much to do with how the speaker sounds as the speaker.

14. faeasjepardo

Oct 18, 2005
    YO! Zero, i am also trying to decide between the 12 and the 15,I have read the reviews for the electric blue 180-12/15 and most of them are really positive.
    I am cash strapped aswell, i have played a few 15s and i find them too thick IMO.So i think im gonna go for the 12, also remember both have extension Cab output, Although it will only put out 60 watts from what i have read
    The 180watts is only with an extension cab, the internal speaker will still put out 120watts though, which for my needs (rehersal/small gigs) is fine, i will in future maybe get a 15" cab extension or 2x10s i dunno, but its a great deal and im ordering mine within the week.
    Also my local guitar shop do not stock these specific ashdown amps, the guitar guy said however that they are good amps.good luck!
  15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I purchased a 212 instead of a 410 because it was 20 lbs lighter & man am I glad I did. I never thought I would be a 12 guy but I am now. The 212 is perfect. Detailed yet low/bootilicious. The cab is a Carvin BRX12.

Marc Serio from Drbass cabs was telling me that the 212 cabs seam to be a winner & go a little lower than a 1x12 cab, especially the neodyniums.

Love the 15" lows but once you get over it, you want a little more detail. As others have said, you should let your ears tell you what you want, & make sure you have a good trial period. ;)
  16. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    For a while I was looking at that carvin BRX212 combo amp, but didn't have cash so I got a low-budget 212 cab and a Peavey Firebass 700 to drive it. Did you try out the BRX212?
  17. A friend of mine had the 15" speaker version of that combo, and yeah, it didnt have a nice tone either :smug:
  18. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I haven't tried the BRX212.
  19. I'm personally a 12" guy... They just have this honk that you don't usually get with the other sizes, they'll cut through the mix without being high ended.
  20. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm diggin 12's at the moment. But hey, wouldnt a 13.5" solve this debate? :D