Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 year old daughter had a seizure out of the blue

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jan 20, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey all
    just a vent

i've worked with persons with disabilities for 18 years and have seen a ton of seizures and know quite a bit about them.
    nevertheless, it was a bit freaky when my daughter had a 5 minute generalized tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure in my car on the way home from school on teusday. she had a CT scan done, bloodwork and urinalysis, and they couldnt find any acute cause. She had been sick a week or so ago but didnt have a fever that day and cant remember hitting her head any time recently. No family history except her maternal grandmother had an unexplained tonic clonic seizure two years ago. She goes to get a sleep deprived EEG on monday, otherwise it's back to life as usual. No medications or anything until they find out what might be wrong.

poor kid. she's pretty freaked out still and so is her younger sister. my ex-wife is even more freaked as she's on vacation in mexico until friday.

2. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    I know nothing about seizures really but i'm just glad your daughters alright and that no harm occurred when she had this seizure. Although no gene connection or reason for the seizure? That sounds weird to me...
    Best wishes to your daughter and family.

3. Best wishes, man. My nephew started having seisures when he was about 5. He got them just about every day until they got the medication right. It was pretty scarry, but I couldn't imagine how frightening it would be if were my actual son or daughter. Best of luck man,

joe

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Best wishes man. Seizures are some scary s***. I know, i have sympathy!

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have heard of kids just getting them out of the blue then never having any. I used to perform EEG's and one the scenarios is that people will get a stobe effect by sunlight shining thru branches and trees or even oncoming lights. This has been known to cause seizures. Could be? Hopefully just a fluke. They will probably do a stroblight test which is routine.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yikes! Kids being sick is never cool. Keep us posted.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My friend in highschool just had one at school one day. It was a grand mall, he was out for about 5 minutes. He woke up and didn't remember a thing. He got tested and went to all kinds of doctors. To my knowledge he didn't have one after that and they couldn't find anything or a reason for it happening. I hope this is the case with your daughter. As you know from your job these things sometimes are a fluke thing.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i had two siezures in 2000, well the first one was mior but the second one was HUGE!! i was flopping around all over the bed. well after the first one my mom took me to teh hospital, i had been sick a week before this. so when i get there i get teh second one... turns out my apendix had burst. and if the DR who took care of me that day who said we had to do an emergency surgery thing, i would have died... the story of my recovery is kind of gory... ill spare the details unless u guys want to hear it :)

all in all im sorry to hear this. i hope she gets better... but when i was sick my DR couldnt tell that it had burst so a day or two later when i ha dmy seizer the hospital guy picked it up. so make sure you go to some expierienced physicians, not just one family DR

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You said that she was sick recently, was shae taking aspirin at the time. I'm thinking possible Reyes(sp?) syndrome. Ask your doctor, it's nothing to screw with.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Mike, I feel your pain. The absolute worst moment of my life happened a few months ago when my 1 year old little girl had one. Her's was febral(sp?) and hasn't happened since then. But man, I feel for ya. Best of luck.
    -Stu

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i work w/ persons w/ disabilities as well, and have both seen and had a good few seizures.

mine were febrile (fevrile?not sure) and i can still vividly remember a hallucination i had during a seizure as a kid. anyways....

was your daughter taking any prescription medications? overstimulated by anything at school? there are a great many causal factors to consider, too many.

best of luck to the little one, though. hope everything is okay.

12. Holy hell man! That's messed up! I have so much prayers and sympathy for your daughter. You have my AIM name if you wanna chat.

13. Wow. That's really unfortunate. A friend and former guitarist of mine is epileptic, so siezures happen. It's not a good experience for anyone really. Scares the crap out of friends.

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I'm sorry bro. Hopefully it's the last.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. Here is hoping that it is just a one time thing, and not a symptom of something else.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Where's Dr Moike? I remember another thread a while ago where he was able to help a TBer who's child has a siezure. The man knows his stuff.

Try to keep your family calm Ivanmike. It's best you save all the worry until you know for sure if you've got something to worry about.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks for all the support
    things are going well right now.
    i'm optimistic and i'm trying to keep my daughter the same way. she gets an EEG on monday. turns out her maternal aunt had a seizure of some kind in HS, but of course her grandmother (a nurse no less) didnt recall that. :rolleyes:

18. Best of luck to you and for her, best wishes.

19. Same kind of thing happened to a friend of mine in high school (in health class, not less:rolleyes: )

We were in the middle of a test, when Joe suddenly got very pale, stood up, said he didn't feel too good, then promptly fell over and started to colvulse VERY violently.

Scary, scary s***, man. No one, not even me, could move for a few seconds. Finally all that first aid stuff I learned in Boy Scouts managed to fight it's way clear of the fear and get me to move.

This is where good training can be a big help. I didn't even need to THINK about what I needed to do. I just did it. And it's a good thing, cause I was a mental wreck afterward. I went home during lunch, and wasn't at school the next day, I was shaking so badly.

When the paramedics arrived, they said that the only thing wrong with him was high blood pressure (duh, I wonder if shaking like crazy for several minutes might not get your blodd pressure and heart rate up?) and VERY high blood sugar. Now Joe isn't diabetic, so we can rule that out. His doctor thought this might be the cause of the seisure. So maybe your daughter had too much candy that day? I don't know. The human body can withstand HUGE amounts of trauma and survive, but you get one tiny little chemical out of balance, WHAM!!

Keep her spirits up. This will probably never happen again. Best of luck to you both.

Rock on
    Eric

20. My friend thats terrible , I hope your daughter gets well soon and they sort this thing out. Having ill family is never a nice thing as ive found out over the last few years with my dad always being ill with his failed kidney , its sooo annoying and kinda depressing at times but with help from jesus anyone can get through such a problem.

best wishes!!

Mat G