Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

120-100-80-60-40

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Limo, May 4, 2004.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Where can I get these strings?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Dunno.

But, then, I don't understand how string diameter could be the most important aspect above all others (tension, longevity, material, sustain, etc), either.

Good luck finding some that suit your needs. :)

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Why not?? Perhaps I have my reasons

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Noone knows??

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Steel or Nickel. Are those for a super heavy EADGC set or a light BEADG set?

What brand do you currently use? Why this specific size? What's the style of playing? What sound are you going for?

If you address these questions somebody can probably help you find the strings you are looking for, or help you find something similar.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    In any case, Ken Smith Burners come in this gauge.

Link

7. DR Hi-Beams, Sunbeams and Lo-Riders comes in this gauge.

You can get them here:
    US

UK

8. I have a set of these gauge strings (DR Hi-Beams) on my Musicman Stingray5. I have to admit though I prefer light gauge, these are a little TOO light for my tastes and the tension is a little too loose as well. But I like the tone and I like the texture, so they're staying on 'till they go dead. My next set will be the .125-.045s though.

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Thanks to you and thanks to Flatwound as well:)

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Simple questions require simple answers.

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

What?

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was trying to help and it seemed like you threw it back in my face with some snide remark.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Oh I see what you mean, I'm sorry about that, it wasn't my intention. Seriously I apoligize:(

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'll try to be civil and try to snswer your question;) (I know I can come across as pretty arrogant sometimes) I'm looking for this guage because I'm looking to tune my 5 string

C
    F
    Bb
    Eb
    Ab

So I thought that 120 B string would make an interesting guage for this type of tuning. This is for a metal nband so I will be using a pick for most of the time. I'm trying to experiment with guages. This is for my Carvin and the current guiage (130) isn't working, it's way too tight. Thanks

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Limo,

In addition to DRs & Ken Smiths, you can also custom-order multiple sets of the "house brand" (any gauge you want) at JustStrings.com. I know this because I also favor this gauge - .040-.060-.080-.100 (at least for four string), though for standard tuning. Looks to be quite the bargain as well...

MM

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I have once before ordered from juststrings and that was too expensive (I'm in Iceland) I will probably ask some local store to order it for me, but thanks for the tip:)

P.S. I also see that we both misspelled the word "Gauge";)

Wait a minute........did you change it???????? I'm quite sure I read guage not gauge.....am I going nuts??:confused:

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's what I use them for, too. The tension is great without the strings being too "bulky" which, IMHO throws off your "balance" as it were. And, should you tune standard, it's a great slap set.

(Using DRs rightnow. Can't for the life of me remember what kind of set. Nickle, I'm pretty sure.)

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I edited it, dude. Couldn't just have a glaring misspelling hanging out there in cyberspace. I have an image to protect ;)

MM